Apple iPhone

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Political Access
The Apple iPhone has been officially announced..

And I must say I think it is a really slick device. A total touch screen solution.. no keyboards and/or stylus. Small, thin, and just plain SICK!

Runs off OSX! I love the accelerometer that changes the display orientation based on the orientation of the device. I would love to see how it works.

To be officially available in June 2007 as a Cingular exclusive phone. Price points are a little high ($499/4GB version $599/8GB version w/two year commitments) but when you take into account the iPhone functions both as a iPod as well as a SmartPhone, it's not a bad price point.

Technical Specs from Apple:
Screen size: 3.5 inches
Screen resolution: 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
Input method: Multi-touch
Operating system: OS X
Storage: 4GB or 8GB
GSM: Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
Wireless data: Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
Camera: 2.0 megapixels
Battery: Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing (Up to 16 hours Audio playback )
Dimensions: 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm
Weight: 4.8 ounces / 135 grams

Last edited:
It's got a motion sensor so that the screen and music turn off when you get a call. Slick!

Also apparently Apple Computer, Inc is now Apple, Inc.

Behold, the iPhone
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070109-8583.html

Apple turned 30 on April 1, 2006—quite a milestone for a technology company that, for much of its life, has provided endless fodder for an army of pundits who have made a living out of writing its obituary. The 2007 Macworld keynote brings Apple into its first full year of its thirties, and the company is keen to demonstrate that 30 is the new 20, and that the new, post-Switch Apple is as ready as ever to do what it was founded to do: make computers for the rest of us... or, waitaminute...

Apple at 30+ makes more than just "computers." Indeed, in spite of his famous declaration that Apple makes computers, and "computers have keyboards," Jobs took the stage this year to tout a roster of products that includes software, services, and one very important device that, though arguably a "computer" in a general sense, decidedly lacks the requisite keyboard.

Not a Mac, but also not the Newton: It's an iPod! It's a Phone! It's an Internet device!

Halfway into the keynote, Jobs introduced Apple's newest portable gadget, the long-awaited iPhone, by comparing it to two past seminal Apple products: the original Mac in 1984, and the first iPod in 2001. The message is clear: the iPhone is intended to be Apple's next revolutionary product, and it will carry Apple forward on the coming wave of ubiquitous wireless broadband.

iPhone.jpg

The new iPhone is a essentially a combination of three devices: a widescreen iPod, a phone, and an Internet communicator. It does not have a keyboard.

In lieu of a keyboard, the 11.6mm thin phone sports a 3.5-inch touchscreen that is meant to be used not with a stylus but with the fingers. With a new input interface called "multi-touch" that enables the touchscreen to accept input from multiple places at once, users can use the touchscreen to tap out SMS messages on an onscreen QWERTY keyboard, surf their contacts list, select music tracks, make calls, and perform other phone, messaging, and media functions.

The iPhone's visual interface makes it possible for Apple to provide some new twists on traditional phone functionality. For instance, a new feature called "visual voicemail" lets you listen to your voicemail messages in any order by using the interface to select which message you want to hear. The contact management and dialing software also make it a snap to select the participants in a conference call, and to send group SMS messages.

The phone also makes use of the same kind of motion detection that powers Nintendo's Wii controller. Photos with a landscape orientation can be switched to portrait simply by turning the phone sideways, or iTunes can move into CoverFlow mode using the same motion. And in another novel interface move, photos and web pages can also be zoomed in and out by squeezing the sides of the phone.

For Internet, calendaring, and messaging use, the phone features a version of Safari, along with Apple's Mail client and iCal. Safari can render full pages, and web navigation works much like it does in OS X. Jobs also gave a stunning demonstration of Google Maps on the new phone, with the phone automatically picking out the phone numbers and making them available to the user to call with just a touch.

The phone's Mail client can render rich HTML email, and connect to any IMAP or POP server. In a move that will make the iPhone a viable Blackberry competitor, Yahoo has announced free push IMAP to the phone. Indeed, Google and Yahoo both provide integrated search capabilities on the phone, and Yahoo is using the phone to launch two new mobile services: Yahoo Go and Yahoo oneSearch.

The iPhone's media capabilities are impressive, and it essentially gives you iPhoto and iTunes in the palm of your hand, complete with CoverFlow. The 3.5mm headphone jack outputs clear sound, and the movies and photos displayed on the phone are very sharp.

The new phone accomplishes all of these feats by running a version of OS X, though there's no word yet on exactly how "stripped down" this version is. The iPhone's OS X version also makes heavy use of Dashboard-like widgets to provide extended functionality, like weather reporting.

Other iPhone features include 8GB of storage, a 2MP camera, and support for the following wireless protocols: GSM + EDGE, Bluetooth, and WiFi. The phone has 16 hours of battery life for audio and 5 hours for talk time, video, and browsing.

The phone will be available to Cingular customers in June at a price of $499 for the 4GB version and $599 for the 8GB version. You'll be able to pick one up at either the Apple Store or your local Cingular dealer.

Absolutely beautiful device, but sadly lacking in some important areas, I think.
From my blog post on the subject...

While a large part of the blogosphere goes completely ga-ga over the newly announced iPhone, Eugenia Loli-Queru of OSNews has posted what I think is the most balanced initial analysis I've read so far. Once the RDF wears off, you realize that the points she makes are actually quite valid.

The iPhone is a gorgeous device, unmatched by any other - there's no shred of doubt there. More than the hardware, the beautiful software/UI is what really draws you in. Plus it's got nifty "extras" like an accelerometer that allows the screen to switch between portrait and landscape mode automatically (my Canon camera does this too), and a proximity sensor that turns off the display when you lift the phone to your ear (smart!). Small features, yes, but they definitely contribute positively to the overall user experience. Now throw in the 4 or 8GB of flash, a web browser, mail client, and traditional PDA functionality, and this is starting to look almost perfect!

But then the issues begin to arise...

1) Third-party applications: It's still not clear whether the iPhone allows you to install third-party apps to extend its functionality. It wasn't really addressed during the keynote. Engadget, via Michael Gartenberg, reports that it won't, which is just terrible. That's the killer-feature of smartphones and what got me to switch to them from standard cellphones in the first place. RSS readers, IM clients, games, GPS navigation apps, office productivity apps, eBook readers - there's a whole giant ecosystem of useful third-party software for Windows Mobile and Symbian smartphones out there. I find it very hard to believe Apple would do something like this though. I guess we'll have to wait and find out...

2) On-screen keys: Eugenia is not impressed by the on-screen QWERTY keyboard and the lack of tactile feedback, and I'm in total agreement there. This might not be an issue if you're not planning to do anything text-heavy, but if you start sending text messages and emails often, you're going to get sick of the tiny on-screen keys very, very soon.

3) User-replaceable battery: Well, is it? Pictures of the device on Apple's site show a closed shell similar to the iPod. If your iPod's battery dies, you ship it to Apple for replacement - that's okay. Are you willing to do the same with your cellphone and be without it for how much ever time it takes Apple to ship it back to you (especially if it's your only phone, or if you use it daily for important business calls)?

4) EDGE connectivity: All those fancy internet features, but only EDGE support for a cellphone scheduled to hit the shelves in mid-2007? My T-Mobile MDA uses EDGE too, and even though I like most other aspects of the phone, this sticks out like a sore thumb. My second Windows Mobile device, a Palm Treo 700wx on Sprint, supports EV-DO, which is blisteringly fast in comparison. Cingular has already been rolling out their HSDPA network in major cities across the country; why not include a HSDPA radio in the iPhone and usher it into the current generation, especially when you're asking customers to invest so much money into it? This isn't something that can be fixed with a software update, after all.

5) Carrier-restricted: I was a little baffled that the phone is restricted only to Cingular customers. Jobs described it as a "multi-year" deal with Cingular, so one has to wonder when it'll show up on other networks, if ever. Apart from the visual voicemail feature that needs additional work on the carrier's side, there's nothing that should have prevented Apple from selling an unlocked phone for anyone. It is a quad-band GSM device, after all. Was the visual voicemail feature that important to them that it warranted excluding a whole chunk of potential non-Cingular customers?

Besides all this, the seamless integration between Windows Mobile, Exchange Server and Outlook on the desktop is a killer feature for me, personally. Pair them up once, and it just keeps working without interruption. Sure, Apple has the whole push IMAP deal going with Yahoo, but who wants to bother changing email addresses (try suggesting that to business users!) or mail forwarding? Besides, that just covers email. What about over-the-air synchronization of contacts, calendar events, tasks, etc? Plugging in your device to a computer every night is so archaic.

Of course, that's not to say that the iPhone is without its merits. Microsoft and its hardware partners, like HTC, could surely learn a thing or two from Apple as well, especially with regards to design and aesthetics. It never hurts to have another good competitor in the marketplace to spark off some great ideas from everyone in the game. The iPhone is also Apple's first foray into the mobile devices space, so there's plenty of room for improvement in the future. I think it'll be interesting to see what direction they take it in.

So, what are your thoughts, now that you've had the time to let the news sink in?

Man you are such a party pooper :p

You have some valid points, however.

1) I will be shocked if this is true. I seriously hope it's not true!
2) I guess we'll have to use one to find out, but from the Apple site it seems like they have the screen sensitivity problem solved, so maybe it won't be an issue.
3) I'm sure people will figure out a way to replace the batteries themselves.
4) Good point, -points for Apple.
5) I'm sure people will figure out a way to unlock it ;)

Man you are such a party pooper :p
Sorry... :lick:

1) I will be shocked if this is true. I seriously hope it's not true!
I know. It was very surprising to me too. I hope we can get some official information about this.

2) I guess we'll have to use one to find out, but from the Apple site it seems like they have the screen sensitivity problem solved, so maybe it won't be an issue.
Sensitivity isn't the problem. It's basically the size of the on-screen keys. From initial reports, it seems like they're too small to be used with the thumbs, which makes one-handed operation pretty much impossible.

Brian Lam from Gizmodo played with one at MWSF and reported back: "Keyboard: The softkey, on screen buttons are small. Think index finger, not thumb. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. The keys pop up when I put my finger down on the keys, but do you think the proximity sensor knows when I get close (but before I touch), and if I hover with my digit, it'll blow up the keys so they're easier to hit? (Am I making sense?)"

David Pogue of the NY Times: "Typing is difficult. The letter keys are just pictures on the glass screen, so of course there’s no tactile feedback."

This is also a concern with Pocket PCs (less so on devices with physical keyboards), but it's partially mitigated via third-party apps like Voice Command, TenGo, Smartskey etc...which leads back to point #1 - will there even be third-party apps for the iPhone? :)

You're right though. Experiences will vary, and we'll have to try it out for ourselves when these things hit the shelves.

3) I'm sure people will figure out a way to replace the batteries themselves.
This is true, although I doubt the average user will want to deal with disassembly of a unit that's not designed to support user-replaceable batteries. iPods can be disassembled too; yet most people don't know how or don't want to risk damage, and just send them back to Apple for service. It's fine for iPods, but less than ideal for something that could be your only line of communication.

5) I'm sure people will figure out a way to unlock it ;)
This is a trickier situation though. As per today's announcement, the iPhone will only be sold at Cingular and Apple stores, with 2-year Cingular contracts. So the only way to use it with another carrier is to sign up with Cingular, break the contract and pay the $200 ETF over and above the cost of the phone itself, then unlock the phone, and use it with another carrier. The other possibility I can think of is used ones on eBay, since unlike other phones, there will be no way to get an unlocked iPhone through regular retail channels. See what I mean? :)

Last edited:
This is a trickier situation though. As per today's announcement, the iPhone will only be sold at Cingular and Apple stores, with 2-year Cingular contracts. So the only way to use it with another carrier is to sign up with Cingular, break the contract and pay the $200 ETF over and above the cost of the phone itself, then unlock the phone, and use it with another carrier. The other possibility I can think of is used ones on eBay, since unlike other phones, there will be no way to get an unlocked iPhone through regular retail channels. See what I mean? :)

Sucks for us on verizon since all we get is phones that are "old" and "crippled" i mean i love my razr (after all the hacks) and that does suck spending all that money with netryder's clearly stated issues, people just get too excited and want the best, not waiting for reviews and to see a "real showing" of the phone, not a video...

Oh and cingular sucks, fewest dropped calls my ass, you cant connect a call so of course you have the fewest dropped calls...****ING jerks

Watching the keynote and this thing looks great

I suspect that if the battery is locked in and needs to be replaced by Apple, Cingular would give you a replacement phone of some sort until the repaired unit was returned. They have been very good regarding these things from my experience.

You would probably have to live without your contact information on the phone until it returns, unless Apple plans on writing that info onto a sim card. But I doubt you would be without a usable phone.

Last edited:
Yuck...
Whats the point?
This seems like a giant waste of money to me.

So are a lot of things people buy today. So what? Do people need 60" televisions? Do people need $75,000 cars?

No. But those items do sell because some people want them. Here is another product that people can buy. Let the market be the judge of whether a product will succeed, not your judgement.

So are a lot of things people buy today. So what? Do people need 60" televisions? Do people need $75,000 cars?

No. But those items do sell because some people want them. Here is another product that people can buy. Let the market be the judge of whether a product will succeed, not your judgement.
Well no...
I will still deem it a HUGE waste of money....

And people usually buy 75k cars because it is a symbol of status, most likely this is another reason why this will sell, people have to have the new ipod gizmo...

Another reason why someone would buy an expensive car would be because it has creature comforts that they like. They don't buy the item because they want you to like it, they buy the item because they like it. I dont think that people are buying apple products because they are trendy, I think they find out about the products because they are trendy, and then buy them because they like the UI.

The Apple iPhone has been officially announced..

And I must say I think it is a really slick device. A total touch screen solution.. no keyboards and/or stylus. Small, thin, and just plain SICK!

Runs off OSX! I love the accelerometer that changes the display orientation based on the orientation of the device. I would love to see how it works.

To be officially available in June 2007 as a Cingular exclusive phone. Price points are a little high ($499/4GB version $599/8GB version w/two year commitments) but when you take into account the iPhone functions both as a iPod as well as a SmartPhone, it's not a bad price point.

Technical Specs from Apple:
Screen size: 3.5 inches
Screen resolution: 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
Input method: Multi-touch
Operating system: OS X
Storage: 4GB or 8GB
GSM: Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
Wireless data: Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
Camera: 2.0 megapixels
Battery: Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing (Up to 16 hours Audio playback )
Dimensions: 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm
Weight: 4.8 ounces / 135 grams
I've had total touchscreen, the first pocket pc phones were no keyboard

according to the specs, it has a complete os x?..that is impressive, it also has what I believe is full safari

good device

I was thinking about picking one of these up but as far as I'm concerned you need a keyboard if your're planning on doing alot of typing or computing

500 bucks isn't too much for a computer running os x full...if you can do some of your important computing with it...I can't do that without a keyboard

Last edited:
I agree Perris, the biggest problem that I have about this device is the lack of keyboard. if you are driving down the road and trying to dial a phone number, sometimes it is easier to just feel the numbers with your fingers.

That being said, they do have the easy scrolling and bluetooth support, so you can just use the voice to dial.

if it's a full os x you can add a keyboard and a moniter too

pretty cool, a very small mac if you get that keyboard and monitor, maybe a hub and add a hardrive to boot

Last edited:
i don't think you will be able to add those devices due to the lack of input methods, and it is a scaled down version of OSX. The only thing that i could feasibly see is a bluetooth keyboard, but I don't know if that would be implemented or not.

Believe me everyone, $500 is a steal even if it is a "Party Phone" and not a "SmartPhone".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back