News Apple CEO on friending Facebook, educating Siri and killing Ping

Apple CEO Tim Cook sat down for an in-depth interview during the All Things Digital conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California on Tuesday. Cook discussed where Apple's been and — more importantly — where it's going. He also slipped in some hints about the future of Siri, the doom of Ping, and a potential relationship between Apple and Facebook.

Cook started his conversation with his hosts, Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg, by declaring that he has never been as amazed by "all the things [he] cannot talk about" right now. "The juices are flowing and we have some incredible things coming out," he explained.

While Cook touched on a range of topics, including Apple's manufacturing plans, during the interview, my ears twitched when he mentioned good ol' Ping.

Ping — iTunes Ping, to use its proper name — is a social network of sorts that's baked into Apple's desktop media player software. The feature was not received particularly well by most users, who criticized its limited availability, the prevalence of fake celebrity accounts, the removal of Facebook integration, and initial waves of spam.

When asked about what happened to Ping, Cook explained that it seems as if the average customer is saying that it "isn’t something that [he or she wants] to put a lot of energy into."

:source: Source: msnbc

Everyone knew Ping was DOA from the start, and I could care less about Siri. My interest is in why Apple would want to get mixed up with a sinker like Facebook when everyone sees it's downfall in the distant future. Apple was an innovator, they didn't get with companies on their way out. I fear for the future of Apple. =/

Ping sucks. I only checked it out one time, and never did again.

You were almost forced to at least participate with the Ping program when it launched in iTunes.

Heck, I DETEST iTunes and I am forced to use that POS too :(

You were almost forced to at least participate with the Ping program when it launched in iTunes.

Heck, I DETEST iTunes and I am forced to use that POS too :(

I like iTunes. It works great with my mac. I just hate Ping.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back