• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Appending data to file2 from file1

Lighter

. . . . . . . . .
Ya'll gonna think I'm nuts because I'm trying this without the use of a true database.:confused:

I need to read data from one file (.txt or .dat) parse the data by field name and append to another file (.xls preferably, but .txt will do).

Resources: One local machine, no ASP, no PHP, no SQL --and no internet connection. :happy:

Why? Basically to see if I can do it and how (which I'm unable to so far).

Originally posted by Lighter
Ya'll gonna think I'm nuts because I'm trying this without the use of a true database.:confused:
You're nuts! :p

So you're going to do this in what? Web interface? Javascript can't use files. VBScript can afaik.

Lighter

. . . . . . . . .
Re: Re: Appending data to file2 from file1

Originally posted by Zedric
You're nuts! :p

So you're going to do this in what? Web interface? Javascript can't use files. VBScript can afaik.
Yeah so I've hit a brick wall. Got more important things to tinker with at work, but I'll solve this idiotic riddle I've presented myself with. :)

C

cozmo911

Is this a web interface? If so, you are going to need some kind of server-side language.

If its an application on the local machine, just use C# or VB or something. You can use C++ if you like, but using COM objects in C++ is terrible.

You can just use the Jet 4.0 OleDB provider. With that you can read from comma deliminated text files, and also write a new Excel spreadsheet.

Read into it. If you need sample code, just ask. Though I will most likely give you C# (as its my preference).

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierge