Appending data to file2 from file1

Lighter

*censored*
Ya'll gonna think I'm nuts because I'm trying this without the use of a true database.:confused:

I need to read data from one file (.txt or .dat) parse the data by field name and append to another file (.xls preferably, but .txt will do).

Resources: One local machine, no ASP, no PHP, no SQL --and no internet connection. :happy:

Why? Basically to see if I can do it and how (which I'm unable to so far).

Originally posted by Lighter
Ya'll gonna think I'm nuts because I'm trying this without the use of a true database.:confused:
You're nuts! :p

So you're going to do this in what? Web interface? Javascript can't use files. VBScript can afaik.

Re: Re: Appending data to file2 from file1

Originally posted by Zedric
You're nuts! :p

So you're going to do this in what? Web interface? Javascript can't use files. VBScript can afaik.

Yeah so I've hit a brick wall. Got more important things to tinker with at work, but I'll solve this idiotic riddle I've presented myself with. :)

Is this a web interface? If so, you are going to need some kind of server-side language.

If its an application on the local machine, just use C# or VB or something. You can use C++ if you like, but using COM objects in C++ is terrible.

You can just use the Jet 4.0 OleDB provider. With that you can read from comma deliminated text files, and also write a new Excel spreadsheet.

Read into it. If you need sample code, just ask. Though I will most likely give you C# (as its my preference).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back