Apparent Windows Vista Server Naming Convention

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Taken from Neowin

A Microsoft spokesperson who has been following our coverage of Windows Vista over the last few days, contacted me in regard to the naming of Longhorn Server -the next version of Windows Server, that is expected to start in the timeframe of the Windows Vista beta.

She also coined the term 'Vi' which is becoming a popular short name for Vista, meaning six in Roman numerals. She said "Just reading your posting on "WinVi" and wanted to let you know that Vista is the name for Longhorn client only. Microsoft is not announcing the name for Longhorn Server at this time, but the current plan is to follow the existing naming convention of Windows Server 2003"

Windows Vista is version 6.0, but bink of Bink.nu found an interesting domain registration of Windows07, which seems to confirm that Microsoft is indeed gunning for a Windows version that carries the number 7 in its name.

It looks like we could be seeing Windows Server 2007 after R2, R2 is currently in beta and is built on the Windows Server 2003 SP1 platform, it adds optionally-installable components that customers have requested.

ThePatriot said:
Interesting stuff, I kinda like the "Vista" name...and just to be sure the world hasn't changed much, there's already talk of a lawsuit...http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&e=2&u=/pcworld/20050725/tc_pcworld/121961 .

I can see SCO/Caldera jumping on the "vi" term also! :eek:

Never a dull moment, huh?

Yeah, I had made a post about that yesterday. It was just a small oversight, but you know they will just throw money at it if they have to and move on. Remember, they bought DOS for only 50k? :)

In the upper-right corner of your post, you'll see a post number (right next to the "Top" link). Click that to display just your single post. Then click the thread title link that shows up on the upper-right corner of the post. It'll take you back to the full thread with a permalink to your post in your browser's address box. :)

NetRyder said:
In the upper-right corner of your post, you'll see a post number (right next to the "Top" link). Click that to display just your single post. Then click the thread title link that shows up on the upper-right corner of the post. It'll take you back to the full thread with a permalink to your post in your browser's address box. :)

Spiffy, thanks!

EDIT: Tried to rep you, but I guess I have too much lately :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back