Aoto Update in Zone Alarm

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
I don't use za, so this is all second hand from other sites...still it needs to be shared

All of the latest Zone Alarm versions have Autoupdate checking ON, and no way to turn it off in the program itself.

If you click the link in Preferences, the site tells you you can turn off background checking and make the program ask for permission before it checks for updates, but that's no sloution, as it produces popup asking for permission to check all the time anyway

This registry hack not only turns the autocheck OFF, but replaces the line "Autoupdate is enabled for your protection" with the line "Update checks have been set to manual." ,,,it's supposed to work...cool

make sure you're off line

CLOSE ZA (important)

windows key plus r, enter, paste;

regedit

navigate;

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm
Back up (Export) the ZoneAlarm key just to be sure

Click the ZoneAlarm key to open it
Double-click CfgMain (in the right-hand pane) to open the config panel
Down-arrow 5 times to the 0028 line
Right-arrow 5 times, to the right of the 01
Hit Backspace
Now type 00 (That's two zeros, not two ohs)
Click OK (to close the panel)
Close Reg Editor
Restart ZoneAlarm

done, go back on line

Check the "manual" setting in the Preferences panel.

according to zonealarm this will be taken care of in future updates, but you can do this now if you want

dealer - TYVM - that's a very good post - especially from a non ZA user!;)

There's a new update available for all versions of Zone Alarm - updates to 4.5.538 (on the ZA freebie) and amongst other things - allows you to turn on or off the automatic update feature!

<I have also read that it uses a smaller footprint and surfing speed has actually increased over the previous version>

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back