AOL Turns Off Windows Messenger

coathanger007

Tomorrow Tweaking Today
Paul Roberts, IDG News Service
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...093&e=3&u=/pcworld/20031024/tc_pcworld/113108
Internet service provider America Online is taking aggressive steps to combat spam and close a security loophole by turning off a Microsoft Windows feature that spammers are exploiting to display pop-up messages on users' desktops, AOL said.

AOL used an update of its software to disable the Windows feature without the knowledge or consent of AOL subscribers, raising questions about the ethics of the change.

The feature in question, known as Windows Messenger Service, enables network administrators or network devices to display messages on users' desktops, but it has few applications for home users, according to Richard Smith, an independent security expert based in Boston.

Using text commands entered from a command prompt, users can create a pop-up window containing messages on other users' desktops connected over a home network, corporate network, or the Internet, Smith said. Spammers discovered the feature a year ago and immediately began using it to barrage unsuspecting users with pop-up messages containing solicitations, he said.

For spammers, Windows Messenger Service has advantages over e-mail. The spammer's message appears on top of the desktop, without requiring any user action to display it. Even more important, spammers do not need to know any e-mail addresses to get their message out to Windows users, just the IP addresses of Windows machines, Smith said.

There's a wealth of I.T news that NTFS.org isn't capturing. Come on guys, pull your socks up ! :)

1st off, this story was posted :p

2nd, why not submit it the right way, with the submit news button on the front page

Wow...that certainly got a response. Thought admin was sleeping on the job :p

Finally found the 'submit news' link. Couldn't have been more insignificant all on it's lonesome there on the side where no one pays attention :D

Originally posted by Jewelzz
1st off, this story was posted :p

2nd, why not submit it the right way, with the submit news button on the front page

Shucks...you beat me on this one Jewelzz but there's always next time :D

coathanger007 submit it and we will post it.
We'll submit it if it hasn't been submitted already and/or it's news worthy.

Wow...that certainly got a response. Thought admin was sleeping on the job
Never

Finally found the 'submit news' link. Couldn't have been more insignificant all on it's lonesome there on the side where no one pays attention
You're the only one that never saw it, all the other members use it to submit news.

Shucks...you beat me on this one Jewelzz but there's always next time
Good luck :p You'll beat me on days I'm working and don't have time to search and post news ... like today

ROFL. That really got ya going. Don't worry, that was just a wake up call. I'll leave your job to you - I've got other things to do. :)

One more thing ... We're always looking for news posters :D So if you think you have what it takes, PM [e]-Punk, he'll get you set up :)

Hey, Jewelzz, if you're browsing...are you and the only news poster? The frontpage hasn't been updated in a while !
Oh, and one other thing, if you made your 'submit news' button more prominent, more members would lend you a helping hand with updates :)

We have some mod chips in ??:) ;) - thats what i thought it said at first :D
I was wondering "in what?"

Great, I see you've updated. But why aren't any of my posts up there?
I don't see anything wrong with most of my articles.

Exactly. I don't have time to search the forums plus all the other sites I go to to find news

Why search the entire forum??? This section is headed 'News Headlines' so if anyone wanted to post some News Headlines they'd do it here in the 'News Headlines' section. :)

For goodness sakes, just read the description for this section:

'This is where you can post uncovered news or discuss news that is currently on the front page. If you are posting news, please quote the source and we may add it to the front page.'

coathanger: 1st let me start by saying ... most members don't post news in this section that they want on the front page, the use the submit news button.

Before you start to criticize us and the work we do (or lack there of as you seem to see it), I suggest you try what we do for a month or so... then come back and criticize us, tell us our faults, give us pointers on how to do our job here at NTFS better. I know it seems we all have no life except that here, at NTFS but let me assure you, we all do have lives outside of NTFS

Honestly, I don't understand why you're taking my comments so negatively. Would you rather I showered you with praises? It would only benefit the site if constructive criticisms were made. Sure there's life outside NTFS but just remember, you're not the only one running the show.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back