AOL surpass themselves once again...

Shame, the AiM network is a good one (The client's awful though) I've always had much less issues with it than MSN Messenger for example.

It's a good job the new version of iChat supports Jabber :)

i dont really care, i dont say anything exciting in IM's so they can spy all they wish :eek:

thats crazy that AOL woud do that. it doesn't bother me though. as long as they aren't releasing my convo's to the public then im alright. and i've never had as many problems with aim than i have had with msn

-bibble

Everyone should dump this junk and move over to Skype. Nothing would make me happier. :D

Until Skype offers the same functionality on all platforms, it won't happen. Plus the text based messages on Skype is rather ugly at the moment (doesn't bother me, but it sure puts a lot of people off).

It would be nice to have a unified multi-platform messaging protocol though.

MSN: Great on Windows, Stinks on Mac, Doesn't exist on *nix.
AiM: Official Client sucks hard, and now privacy issues.
Yahoo: haha.
Jabber: Best alternative at the moment, bit daunting for the average user though.

Does this apply to ICQ as well? I know aol(notice no caps) bought ICQ out, so I was just wondering if this was for ICQ as well?

I really like Jabber (XMPP), and there are some slick clients out there for it.
But until it supports audio/video, I don't think I could make it my primary IM client. That's the reason I still use MSNM most often. Just waiting for Skype to support video that's as good as their audio. That will be the day. :)

Personally, I currently use IRC for the real talk, MSNM for idle banter and because "everyone else does", AiM because iChat is pretty :p and I've just this second installed a jabber client and am now a Jabber user (purely in prep for using iChat in Tiger and not utilising AiM).

I'd like to use Skype a lot more, but at the moment, no one else I know does, and one of my major gripes is that contacts aren't centrally stored. So when I installed it on my iBook, my contacts (both of them :D :p) were absent. I'm unsure if that's a problem with the OS X client, or with the network of whatever.. but it's quite annoying.

I'm going to add a link to the TOS in my AIM profile. :p
Let's see if at least something like this will finally make some of my AIM-loving contacts move to something better...I don't even care what it is, since I have and use MSNM, Skype and Jabber.

By the way, the Skype contact list issue has been fixed. Contact lists should be sync'd in the next release.
http://www.skypejournal.com/blog/archives/2005/03/contact_list_pr.php

My current contact lists:

AiM: 37
MSNM: 46
Jabber: 1

There's still time for Jabber and Skype to catch up :D

Unfortunately, the number of people on my AIM contact list (using Trillian, just for reference) is far greater than the number of people on my MSNM contact list. Back when I was in India, everyone used MSNM. On the other hand, almost everyone here in the U.S. seems to use this abomination called AIM. :p

Well, in any case...rather than linking directly to the TOS (which most people probably won't bother looking at), I'll be linking to this blog post that I just wrote. Explains things a little better to newbies and offers some suggested alternatives too. Time to shoot out some emails and add the link to the AIM profile. :)

Odd very odd. I think they will listen to certain known persons and their conversations rather than the ordinary man, woman or child.

[edit]I was thinking further about it, and well, lets think, maybe they use speech recognition software on their servers, which is triggered by keywords in many languages then the record button starts.[/edit]

NetRyder said:
Everyone should dump this junk and move over to Skype. Nothing would make me happier. :D
We did months ago it's the only thing we use now,even got the family on it too so there's no more phone bills :laugh:

I say a bunch of us sign up for AIM accounts and start talking weird crud on im.

SPeedY_B said:
My current contact lists:

AiM: 37
MSNM: 46
Jabber: 1

There's still time for Jabber and Skype to catch up :D
AiM: 1
MSNM: 79
Jabber: 0

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back