AOL & ROUTER.. should be easy enuff??? right?

_kC_

OSNN Senior Addict
hi, before you leap on me, no i am NOT an aol user... :p
trying too do it for a freind, he has 4 pc's, main pc has aol broadband, and a usb modem... the other pc's have wireless cards at the ready

i looked around at lots of stuff on how easy it is too connect the router.. basically
pppoe
username@aol.com
password
mtu - 1400

but will this thing connect? will it hell
(the router is a d-link dsl604t (wireless adsl modem/router/switch)
i phoned d-link tech support, but got told that the product was too new, and the techies hadnt recieved any training on the product!! :mad:

so then phoned AOL
first time i got told point blank that a d-link router WILL NOT work with AOL
and that i was too get neatgear (which i already recomended my freind as i have all netgear stuff at my setup, and it rocks)

is it possible that AOL will not work with a particular brand of router?? sounds insane too me..

then a few hours later i phoned back AOL, was a different tech guy this time, when he asked what router i had, i just said netgear (so at least he would give me the correct settings)
but just as i was getting too the info i really needed too know, he started saying "your lines breaking up... i cant hear you" and then he hung up..

i was on a landline, not a mobile.. so the chances my line "broke up" are ridiculous..

so i cant get any sense at all from d-link or from AOL, or from various websearches..

i told my freind too ditch AOL and get a real isp, but his kids love it :eek:

one thing i did do, was too create a new screenname/password especially for the router... and i put it in the format screenname@aol.com

i just dont understand at all why neither company will help, and how it wont connect.. all routers are pretty much the same protocols right? surely AOL cant block a D-link.. and then allow a netgear??

:eek:

I have no experience with either d-link or netgear ... linksys I know works with aol as it even has a setting for aol parental controls ;) I would think any router should work but perhaps they have something odd going on ... after all it is aol.

I had the same problem with AOL - bought a belkin wireless router, an the guy on the help desk said that they had received no training and that it was not on their compatible list - BUT TO BUY ONE OF THEIR RECOMMENDED ROUTERS !!!

To cut a long story short, it would not work with AOL cos the MTU setting was too high - set it to 1400, an all is well with AOL.

tibboh said:
I had the same problem with AOL - bought a belkin wireless router, an the guy on the help desk said that they had received no training and that it was not on their compatible list - BUT TO BUY ONE OF THEIR RECOMMENDED ROUTERS !!!
It's common for tech support to tell people such things, as if you have there "recommended" products then they only need 1 set of directions and 1 set of FAQ's w/out having to research anything. Also helps them help clueless people.

I dont think you can use AOL with a router? Don't you need their crapware to connect?

Nope - you dont need any AOL CRAPWARE to run a router, and yes, AOL will work with most routers, just need to fine tune.

If you use the supplied modem, or recommended routers, they come with install disks which make it a doddle to install - but all you intellegent non-AOL users will be able to cope with no info?

what is there too fine tune?

i have
user - username@aol.com
pass - password
mtu - 1400
mru - 1492
vci - 38

what other vital settings are there?

i also read at some site that it "should" be possible too just create a PPPoE connection with windows XP connection wizard, again using the username@aol.com format
but even that doesnt work for me..

i tried again today, but no luck at all, just wont connect :(

if i could even make the standard PPPoE connection work, then all i would need is a wireless access point, and wouldnt have the need for the router at all, as i should be able too select too use ICS if i can get windows too dial up too AOL

I could not get my router to work with PPoE, could only eneble it with PPoA and it works fine - I had to play with my router settings as the MTU was not set on 1400 - had to figure that one out for AOL.

k i have tried everything i give up on the router...
how do u enable ICS for AOL?

i could just use the wireless router for the network, and keep using the USB modem...

_kC_ said:
what is there too fine tune?

i have
user - username@aol.com
pass - password
mtu - 1400
mru - 1492
vci - 38

what other vital settings are there?

i also read at some site that it "should" be possible too just create a PPPoE connection with windows XP connection wizard, again using the username@aol.com format
but even that doesnt work for me..

i tried again today, but no luck at all, just wont connect :(

if i could even make the standard PPPoE connection work, then all i would need is a wireless access point, and wouldnt have the need for the router at all, as i should be able too select too use ICS if i can get windows too dial up too AOL

I dont know if this will help,, I had probs with my Zoom X5 until I larned how to set it up es[ecialy to use with AOL...

Simple settings are VIP = 0 VCI = 38
Username@aol.com
Password
MRU = 1400
MTU = 1400
MSS = 1432

Must be set at PPPoA or PPPoA VC-Mux

If all these settings are done there should be no problem.
I know this might sound stupid although it has been done, make sure it is the main account holders username and passowrd that is used, one of my mates tried to use his when his wife was the main account holder...

Dan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back