AOL Launches Alternative IE Browser

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
"America Online has released the final version of AOL Explorer, an alternative Internet Explorer based Web browser that the company has been beta testing since last October.The browser is a standalone application that features tabbed browsing, Web thumbnails and a built-in RSS feed aggregator. A customizable side panel enables users to load third-party add-ons into the browser, such as a calendar or panel that displays incoming mail. AOL has also included its desktop search product as an optional download."

Full article found here

Sounds liek another quality product fropm AOL

Khayman said:
Sounds liek another quality product fropm AOL

Not sure if that is sarcasm or not....

It sounds like a good deal, I'm going to visit my parents tonight so I can use their AOL account and give it a whirl. A few things are a bit shaky from my standpoint though....

"AOL says it has also shored up security by fixing some IE flaws Microsoft has yet to patch"

The scentence before that mentions that AOL Explorer will offer features that won't be available in IE until version 7 as well. How can AOL be applying and supporting these features already? I know it has been in Beta since October, but it irks me a little that they are trying to cover security holes that are "left open" from Microsoft.

They are so concerned about website compatability using IE's "trident" engine, but I just simply can't see this being a success. Sad that their motive is because "Firefox created a market" and AOL is trying to piggyback that market.

Leave it to the pros, I say.

I think AOL should concentrate more on how to keep member, rather than coming out with new browsers .. They are only losing about 1 million customers a quarter ..

I don't really understand how they can do this succesfully. AOL is based on being GUI friendly, so that users who don't know much can navigate using all the pretty colors and pictures. How can a company who thrives like that make a reliable (in the security and stability standpoint) web browser?

Does this one properly use HTML ???

Johnny said:
Does this one properly use HTML ???

I would assume only as well as your interpretation of IE since they both use the Trident Engine.

I'm still surprised that AOL isn't using Netscape or even Mozilla yet.

kcnychief said:
I would assume only as well as your interpretation of IE since they both use the Trident Engine.

The "Regular" aol browser is based on IE, it still don't support html.

@Xie - They were going to use netscape, but scrapped it to stay with IE.

Johnny said:
The "Regular" aol browser is based on IE, it still don't support html.

@Xie - They were going to use netscape, but scrapped it to stay with IE.

More in that article though, they are developing Netscape to eventually ditch IE

kcnychief said:
More in that article though, they are developing Netscape to eventually ditch IE
They've been doing that for years. :p

AOL's left hand doesn't know what it's right hand is doing, and they both refuse to cooperate.

That is so true Vern .. They always have some sort of trick up their sleeves. Seems to stray away from what they should bd doing. Personally, if AOL would go out of business today, I wouldn't miss them ..

Isn't AOL the people who own Mozillia and Netscape?

ejn74 said:
Isn't AOL the people who own Mozillia and Netscape?
Netscape yes, Mozilla is a seperate non-profit organization created using Netscape code (originally paid for by AOL I believe). :)

Xie said:
They've been doing that for years. :p

Right, but for awhile they put the Netscape project on hold. It has since resumed as of late :lick:

Yeah AOL got to big for it's own good. Seems people in charge all wanna take it in a different direction. They are already talking of dropping Time Warner, or was it Time Warner dropping AOL (goodness I'm tired - and it's almost time for work :dead: )?

I thought they already parted ways with time warner ?? Time Warner changed the name back to the original with in a year of the partnership ..

Johnny said:
I thought they already parted ways with time warner ?? Time Warner changed the name back to the original with in a year of the partnership ..
Name may have changed but I'm not sure if on paper they are still one or not ... (could be as I don't much care - so I don't pay much attention). :p

Xie said:
(could be as I don't much care - so I don't pay much attention). :p

I don't either, just this one thing i payed attention to because of the stock ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back