AOL IM Mem Leak?

Petros

Thief IV
My AIM is using nearly 25MB of memory. Does anyone else's AOL instant messenger use this much? I have plenty to spare, but I'm wondering if this is normal or a memory leak.

Seems like a memory leak or something. Mine uses between 5-7megs. 25MB is a hell of a lot. Does it always use this much, for instance if u shut it down completely then reopen it does it always say 25MB?

Well, I closed it and it restarted at 21MB, but quickly worked its way back up. BTW, I'm using version 5.2.3277, and you're right, that is too much! Geez...

My only other suggestion is restarting your computer, and then see how much memory aim is using. I'm using version 5.1.3036, but all the versions of used so far have used around 5/6 megs.

Heh...just checked and mine is using 25MB also, v5.2.3281, but with deadAIM combined. It's possible that the newer builds use more memory, but it's frightening to see that explorer is utilizing less memory on my machine than AIM!

Do you guys all have the new versions? I'm also using deadaim version 4.0 but the old version of aim, and I'm only at 7Megs right now. 25 is a hell of a lot :-(

I just asked a friend, and he has the new version installed and he said it uses 8megs on average, so I dont know why yours is using 25megs.

i've got the old version of deadAIM, the free versions.. i guess i'll dishout the cash and see if it saves my Memory

24 megs here and no deadaim...wonder what could be happening?

what the hell I wish I never read this thread cause now I want to figure out what is wrong...man I never knew it took so much memory....actually I"m just kidding about this I hope there is some fix in the new version or just in general

Weird...I'm at 7.2 megs with DeadAIM and an away message on. It's been online for 3+ hours.

quick theory

how big are your profiles? images in the profiles (the smilies)?

do you have "auto-direct connect" when other users in your profile want to connect?

do you have "see my typing" enabled?

with DeadAIM do you have "logging" enabled

i have all of this going on, im thinking its the Logging thats doing a lot of the hogging.

use http://www.trillian.cc for multi-IM usage. It runs AIM, ICQ, IRC, MSN, and Yahoo! at the same time and only uses about 10MB of memory at peak.

no profile...no special things going on and still running at like 24 megs...I did notice that if I run it in the backgorund it drops a lot...if I have my buddy list maximized then it goes to like 24 megs...so I guess you just have to have it running in the backgorund to not use a lot of mem

I have a big profile, auto-connect, see my typing, and dead aim logging all on. With my buddy list loaded on the screen aim uses 8 megs of ram, and with it minimized to the taskbar it uses less than 4.

Originally posted by dubstar
quick theory
how big are your profiles? images in the profiles (the smilies)?...

I have the bells and whistles turned off except for logging, no profile and maintain ~25MB usage. When I have time, I'll experiment with older versions of AIM and the free and purchased version of deadAIM. One of the combinations should help pin-point where the memory hogging begins. I suspect however that deadAIM isn't part of the equation.

EDIT: Unrelated, also noticed that with the most recent version (5.2.3281), file xfers to older AIM clients don't always work. I've actually been prompted that a version conflict between 5.1x and 5.2x was preventing the xfer.

j79zlr: I have Trillian Pro as well and actually prefer it. It's just a little annoying when 99% of my contacts are using AIM. There's a few minor feature incompatibilities (on the AIM side) which prompt me to stick with the mainstream client, for now.

Originally posted by monmusion
I have a big profile, auto-connect, see my typing, and dead aim logging all on. With my buddy list loaded on the screen aim uses 8 megs of ram, and with it minimized to the taskbar it uses less than 4.

Out of curiosity, which version are you using? You could save me a lot of time and fuss. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back