AOL Help

Posted by Alan
Hi,

I have a mate who is new to puters and he put the AOL free120 hrs disc in his pc,[Fool]

Well his problem is everytime he boots up AOL keeps opening and wanting to connect to the net.

If any of you know how to stop this please reply.

It will have to be a step by step "How to" so i can cut and paste the answer in a e-mail for him.

Thanks for the help

Alan

bluegrab.gif

ummm. :rolleyes: i know someone else who did something similar to this....

Lets see if I read the original post right: He installed AOL, but doesn't want it to try to autoconnect when something needs an internet connection right?

If so: Go to Internet Explorer's Internet Options -> Connection tab -> Select the AOL entry in the box and then check the button that says "Never dial a connection". Apply the change and that should fix it.

By the way, both my wife and I tried the AOL 8.0 upgrade option. I had really bad luck, and my wife liked it at first but then it would lock her PC up randomly.

I downloaded the full version 8.0 program from AOL when it became available and it works good now for me, but my wife does't want to try it again.

Personally, I wish that AOL would offer an option to install a simple dial-up account without the crappy GUI. The first thing I do is minimize it and use IE. And they don't have a version for Linux yet :mad: (one more reason to offer a simple dial-up connection)

It's ok though, everyday brings me one step closer to breaking down and getting broadband :)

hey mafia u have a older version of 8.0 i have 4129.184 and the pic u have on the post is 4129.180 so it is not that newest versin but they keep updating it

maybe u right foxrider69. my post was sometime ago now. so it's normal that there's newer version already.

i know i figured that out after i sent the post

HI Guys,

Thx for your help in my original post;)

He has now gone with freeserve and removed AOL from his pc.

He seems happier now anyway:D

Thx again

Alan

cap.gif

it looks like you are the one who installed the 120 hour AOL CD

Posted by TalkAboutIslam
it looks like you are the one who installed the 120 hour AOL CD

Hmmmm,

Sometimes people try to read between the lines and find things that are not there:D

ME no likee AoHellee :D

Alan

flattop.gif

foxrider i must disagree with you. 8.0 is slower then 7.0 was.

i havent really noticed but my connection has improved with 8.0 its now between 50000bbs to 52000bbs it use to be 45000bbs

aol 8 (gm version) has a faster connection for me
aol 7 = 43333
aol 8 = 45333

aol 8 is much more stable

aol 7 was just horrible
cussing[1].gif

smokin[1].gif

Alan

Hmmmm,

Sometimes people try to read between the lines and find things that are not there

ME no likee AoHellee

Alan

Sorry then Alan....... I am sorry if I disturbed you bro....

Posted by TalkAboutIslam
Sorry then Alan....... I am sorry if I disturbed you bro....

Hey np brother :D

You never disturbed me, just explaining thats all. ;)

Love and peace

Alan

cap.gif

well for me usuaully with version 7.0 download speed from it was most of the time 93kb/sec . now with 8.0 it barely goes to 80kb/sec

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back