AOL double speeds

tibboh

Arte et Marte
On 7th Feb, all speeds will be doubled at no extra cost.

Silver from 256 kbps up to 512 kbps
Gold from 512 kbps up to 1 Mbps
Platinum from 1 Mbps up to 2 Mbps

Contrary to all the whinging, I'll be quite happy clocking along at 1 Mbps for £19.99 per month, advertising or no advertising. :)

How did you find this out? (out of curiosity)

Can't say i've read anything about it

Edit: nm eh? Checked AOL.co.uk - you sure they're auto upgrading or is it for new accounts only?

Hi Moonwraith

Have sent u a pers email of the new speeds - it is across the board, and NOT just for new starters (although they will automatically be given new speeds straight away).

Cheers mate... should be alright, I know i get notifications for private messages so the e-mail should work :speechless:

Anywho, any idea about times? and you spotted anything yet? :)

AOL offering 1mb for 19.99 without cap???????????

The cost is still £24.99, but I get it for £19.99 as a previous dial-up user (you can always haggle with them) and yes, NO cap whatsoever.

24.99 isn't a bad deal... but i don't particularly like using AOL software to browse the net.
Been thinking of joing Bulldog... 4mb + phone line for £30 + 1st month free.

gotta love my ISP. when i first got cable, i think it was puttin along at like 512d/256u. now we're up to 3Mbps down/ i think still 256 up. still only paying i think $30/mo. for it i think...

UK has always been expensive and BT is the one to be blamed.
Glad the Gov is finally doing something about it.

It does say it could take up to 6 months to get every existing member on, but I cant see it taking that long. Even if it does, 512 is fast enough for me, I would never have paid to upgrade so i will just take it as a bonus.

And you are right, this country is so far behind, and BT have probably shot themselves in the foot for delaying the inevitable. The technology in UK (at least some of it) must be there for AOL to promise an upgrade like that (after all they do use BT lines).

Nothing like healthy competition to get some companies with their knickers in a twist.

Well hopefully it won't take 6 months... was going to leave AOL, might try and see if they'll lower prices :nervous:I know someone who's on anytime dial up for 6.99 a month because theydon't want him to leave.. if i can get them to lower my price and giveme an upgrade.. i'd be a happy chap!

How are they intending on informing people of when? any ideas?

It's usually the bigger companies that go through with these discounted connections to certain customers. But then again, staff usually get their dial up for around that price, so they're not losing money at all.

You will be informed with a help page on AOL KEYWORD 'SPEED UPGRADE' - and this will give you an indication when your turn will come (approx).

Me an my brother got our prices down without even resorting to raising our Kilts above our heads, but even at £24 for no capping is got to be good.

For all your info, go to:

http://channels.aolsvc.co.uk/help/bbrespeed

sorry 'bout that, Ming. Must only be able to access from AOL. Try this

Great news! We will soon be increasing the speed of your AOL Broadband service to make it better than ever. What's more, it won't cost you anything extra! This is all part of AOL's commitment to delivering the best value broadband service in the UK.

See below to find out when you will start to benefit from the new speeds, and to find out how much better your service will be once your speed upgrade has taken place.

Sorry, we do not have the information on your speed upgrade yet
This page is updated regularly and notification on the month of your speed upgrade will appear as soon as possible. Please check this page again for updates.

Your free upgrade will happen automatically and you don't have to do anything to benefit from the new service. We are committed to giving our members a more enjoyable experience at faster speeds, making your AOL Broadband service even better.

You will receive a confirmation email once your upgrade has taken place.

Faster downloads, better video quality, unlimited usage - get even more from AOL Broadband Silver
With your new speed, video clips will load much faster and the picture quality will be noticeably smoother. And you'll love being able to download a full MP3 album in as little as 20 minutes instead of the 30 minutes it would take you now.

Even better value, unlimited usage and accelerated speed at your fingertips with AOL Broadband Gold
With the increased speed, playing games online will be faster and smoother, and games will be even quicker to download. It will also be even easier to keep up to date with the latest news and sport highlights from Sky Sports and BBC News.

Superior video quality, super-fast speed - know no limits with AOL Broadband Platinum
This is broadband with a difference. If films are your thing, you'll be able to download them in half the time it used to take. You'll also notice the sharper picture quality. As a AOL Broadband Platinum member, you'll be among the first to know about new content and features, as and when they are available.

I'm going to call Pipex up tomorrow and ask them whether they're going to match the offer from AOL. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back