anyway to restrict the c drive?

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
i want to have a user which can install and do anything to any partition except the c partition which i want to keep only for windows xp. anyway to do this?

thx, Apu

You can set the security settings for any drive you want as long as the drive has been formatted as NTFS. Just go to Explorer and right-click the C drive and select the Security tab. There you can change whatever you want. Make sure you change the permissions for just the user(s) you want though.

If you do not see the Security tab, you'll need to disable "simple file sharing" (Tools->Folder Options->View->uncheck the option).

You might want to be careful because if you set the premissions too tight, the user won't be able to run some many programs if they are installed on the C drive.

Edit
As an alternative, you can enable quota management so they can only use X amount of space. Just select the quota tab instead of the Security tab.

And remember that a lot of programs you install on other partitions put files onto the c drive no matter where they are loaded.

There are some interesting points here concerning both what has become know as drive “C” and “boot partitions”. Everyone thinks that drive “C” is synonymous with the default boot drive but under XP or NT this is not the case at all as drive “C” can actually be many partitions or even drives or multiple drives and partitions all mapped together. If you are using XP Home edition then it’s not possible to secure your XP system, you must upgrade to XP professional as your administrator account can be over-ridden by the administrator account in XP “Safe Mode” by changing the owner status, re-booting, then re-assigning your own ownership to whatever directories and child directories you previously selected.

I’ve worked on systems that will only boot from a CD which is removed by the system administrator after each session, so even if you can access the BIOS and change the boot order you get the message “no boot record found, please insert the boot disk into drive “whatever” or something similar. If you use XP home addition this is the only secure way to operate using dual boot (third party) software

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back