anyway to install old games into windows XP?

mckinnon2

OSNN Newbie
I'm not very computer savvy, please help! I have windows XP and a lot of older games. When I try to install them - the installation freezes up. I get a message that says "Please install using windows 95 or windows 98". I tried contacting Microsoft and they told me to contact the manufacturer of my computer. They refered me here. Is there anyway to install an old game on windows XP?

Note- thank you all for your help, as of 12 Aug, I finally got the old game to load.

Last edited:
you can use application compatibility should nudge most of your games into installing.

True.dat Copy the contents of the CD to a new folder on your harddrive, click on the setup file and choose to run in compatability mode.

thank-you for your responses, but as I said, I'm not very computer savvy - so how do I "run in compatability mode?"

as Steevo said, copy the entire contents of the cd into a folder on your harddrive, then right-click on the setup file (possibly setup.exe or gamename.exe) and click 'properties' go across to the compatibility tab and tick 'run this game in compatibility mode for:' i usually find setting the drop down box to 'windows 98 / windows me' works. Then click apply and try installing the game again, by double clicking on the setup file. If this doesn't work you can always try changing the drop down box to 'windows 95' clicking apply and then trying the setup file.

If compatibility mode still doesn't help, you may want to try some sort of dosbox but then again, I might just be confusing you ^_^ You would only use dosbox, for really old dos games, compatibility mode should usually cure your problems.

yalooze said:
as Steevo said, copy the entire contents of the cd into a folder on your harddrive, then right-click on the setup file (possibly setup.exe or gamename.exe) and click 'properties' go across to the compatibility tab and tick 'run this game in compatibility mode for:' i usually find setting the drop down box to 'windows 98 / windows me' works. Then click apply and try installing the game again, by double clicking on the setup file. If this doesn't work you can always try changing the drop down box to 'windows 95' clicking apply and then trying the setup file.

If compatibility mode still doesn't help, you may want to try some sort of dosbox but then again, I might just be confusing you ^_^ You would only use dosbox, for really old dos games, compatibility mode should usually cure your problems.
sorry I'm such a computer ditz - I understood most of your directions, but how do I copy the CD to a folder on my hard drive?

Explore the CD contents.
CTRL-A, CTRL-C
Open a new folder in your C drive.
CTRL-V

those are key presseses.

look at the cd drive in explorer. click in the right hand frame, hold control and press a, hold control and press c.

click on your c drive on the left, right click in the right pane and choose new then folder.

Type a name for said folder.

double click said folder

hold control and press v

go grab a coffee.

The link that LeeJend posted has a pretty detailed description on how to set everything up including how to setup compatability mode...

also, if you have VERY old games (80's and/or early 90's era games) that you want to run, you can look at running DOSBox

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back