Anyone tried SP2 for WinXP?

_ronin

OSNN Addict
As most of you know there is a leaked version on the net. I tried it and it wreaked havoc on my theme. I guess it fixed the uxtheme.dll file so my question is, will there be a new patcher when SP2 is officially released? I was told the original SP1 patcher was written by someone on these forums.

Thanks and Good day.

If uxtheme.dll is updated then a new patcher will be released accordingly. Possibly not from here though :\

well i dont think since its leaked anyone will give u any support here. everything here has to be legit and finally released

My apologies if there were confusion in my message. I do not expect anyone will bother writing one for SP2 while in BETA. It would be counterproductive as the official release is only a mere 4 or so months away.

SPeedy_B, on a totally unrelated note, how do you find the 9000 Radeon? I may pick one up as my current card is on it's hind legs. I wouldn't be gaming much, maybe once in awhile so it wouldn't devistate me if HL2 didn't run. :D

themafia_69 said:
well i dont think since its leaked anyone will give u any support here. everything here has to be legit and finally released

_ronin said:
... SPeedy_B, on a totally unrelated note, how do you find the 9000 Radeon? I may pick one up as my current card is on it's hind legs. I wouldn't be gaming much, maybe once in awhile so it wouldn't devistate me if HL2 didn't run. :D

The 9000 is nice - but if I were you, I'd look more into a 9600, as it is now fairly inexpensive, and unlike the 9000, fully supports DX9 features, which HL2 will be heavy in (that is, if it ever comes out... :p ).
The ATI website has lots of helpful information in terms of specifications (and compatability with your system) so you might want to check that out

and if you decide on buying one, check ZipZoomFly.com (free 2 day air shipping, insane prices - used them for the last 4 computers I put together, still not one complaint) for the different flavors of card, or NewEgg.com, they have great service and prices too

hope that helps some :D

Considering I came from a 64mb GeForce 2MX-400, the Radeon's very nice. I hardly game though, and video cards definitely aren't my department, it's a nice card though :)

(edit) NerdUprising got there before me, the git! :p :D

A good card is the Radeon 9600XT. It seems to be the sweet spot right now on price and performance for the ATI line-up.

I purchased mine from here http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=5510 I got an Asus, well because I have an Asus mobo. Newegg has this same card listed at $212 and I got it for $189.00 even thought this current link says $195. I guess it went up 6 bucks from when I got it 2 weeks ago.

This card is fast and overclockable and what I believe to be the best bang for the buck card out there. This software bundle is awesome as well. It contains a whole mess 'o games and utilities. Now...for the Golden Egg....this card also comes with a coupon for a free Half Life 2 when it is released. That's at least a $50 value right there.

If you do go for this card and don't choose Asus as your manufacturer, just do a little research. Many manufacturers have discontinued the HL2 coupon so make sure the manufacturer you decide upon has the coupon (check their website).

That's a pretty penny. The 9600XT is $259 CAD so roughly the same as 190-ish USD. It is a nice card, but it wouldn't be a big leap from my current card, a Radeon9500Pro. The reason why I asked about the 9000 is because I'm on a budget and want something to tie me over til I can afford a FireGL grade card. A FireGL X2 would be sweet, but likely the Z1 is more in my range.

-talk about hijacked thread- :p

anyway, I have 2 9600xt's - one is straight from ATI, boxed (free HL2 :D) and it was $190
the other is a Sapphire-built (and most don't know this, but sapphire is actually the company that fabs and builds the boards for ATI anyway...) OEM, and it cost $167 from ZipZoomFly.com

so yeah, even that little dip in price isn't much, but its still less than the normal $190
BUT if you have a 9500 Pro anyway... wouldn't you be downgrading if you went with 9000? am I missing something? (ps: the 9500 pro is the same caliber as a 9600 (not xt, though)... so you should be more than all set if you are worried about HL2)

_ronin said:
As most of you know there is a leaked version on the net. I tried it and it wreaked havoc on my theme. I guess it fixed the uxtheme.dll file so my question is, will there be a new patcher when SP2 is officially released? I was told the original SP1 patcher was written by someone on these forums.

Thanks and Good day.

You know there will be a patched theme.dll so many people use that as it is but my days of beta testing are done I wont bother with SP2 untill it is in full release and been used by thousands of people with no troubles then I might consider installing it :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back