Anyone Tried Old XP Games on 7

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
I installed virtualization and the XP emulator and it seemed to be running fine. Installed HW2 in the XP window (full screen) and it would not start up.

Googled and tried all the recommended settings and stilll no joy.

No HW2 splash screen. I'm not sure but it might have spit up on the CD securtiy check or at the splash screen. I guess I'll try some no cd hacks next and see if that helps.

Any suggestions would be great. I have some friends interested in 7 if it can play the older XP games. For some reason they are not into multi-booting. I personally don't have a PC with less than 3 OS's on it anymore...

the XP mode on windows 7 does not support hardware 3d acceleration. You may be better off running them in windows 7 with xp compatibiity checked instead or running an XP virutalmachine in virtualbox 3.

No problem with "Pinball" for example, using Windows 98 compatibility mode

I haven't seen the XP virtualisation stuff for the RTM build yet, but yes as Lord says it won't run 3dgames.

You should really only use it if the normal compatibility mode doesn't work, I also got some older (Vista) games working by reinstalling the DirextX runtime, but I can't really recommend that yet until its first revision after 7.

Just run any games you have in compatability mode everyone. There is no need to run the virtualization of XP, games are not what that is for anyways. Just install the games in compatabilty mode. This works just fine, AND I have even gotten old games written for 286/386 pc's to run just fine.....(need to slow them down tho as the new machines run them waaaaayyyy to fast)...lol.. hope this helps someone.

hahaha right on, I do have a quad boot machine, but I haven't even had the need to boot into XP since I installed 7, why bother unless you are a tech nerd like me :)

Feeling dense, but how do you turn XP emulation on? Thought it was a seperate download.

It is a download but first make sure virtualization is enabled in your Bios.

hahaha right on, I do have a quad boot machine, but I haven't even had the need to boot into XP since I installed 7, why bother unless you are a tech nerd like me :)

Some games I have will not work on Vista or 7 even when run in compatibility mode.

Sure, I could spend time and probably find a way to make them run on 7 but why waste my time when it only takes me 10 seconds to boot into XP.

I am not sure if one has been released for the RTM yet. Maybe one of the reasons why the RTM is not available until October.

Only one I know of is: XP Mode Beta

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back