anyone played DIRT?

-seek-

OSNN Addict
Looks like a off-road Need for Speed form the trailers and pic..

How does it play?

I have it on PC and its pretty fun, its not as realistic as the previous Colin Mcrae Games. Its not really like NFS, in that you dont upgrade your car and you dont street race... or run away from cops or anything like that. Its a real race simulator, in a race environment.

Check out the Demo, just remember the full game has wayyyy more. There are Rally Cars, Rally/Offroad Trucks, Buggys, SUV's, Big Trucks and some really neat tracks.

Fyi, Need for Speed basically took some stuff from Test Drive and developed it into a street racing thing :)

Colin McRae's series is quite different and usually I am a huge fan. Haven't played Dirt yet though.

I am waiting for the patch for TDU before I start playing it again :D

I finished it and want to try it again with the new cars.

NFS was around way before test drive.

The street racing games were coined when "the fast and the furious" was all the rage. EA struck gold and the rest is history.

Pretty much sums it up Lord, however NFS was already heading that direction with the upgrades in NFS:porche Unleashed (best NFS game imho) and the cop action in NFS:Hot Pursuit 1 I think it was a pretty natural transition into the street racing genre. But I do still agree with you about The Fast and the Furious and all that.

NFS was around way before test drive.

The street racing games were coined when "the fast and the furious" was all the rage. EA struck gold and the rest is history.

Original release dates.

Need for Speed - 1995

Test Drive - 1987

If by way before, you mean almost a decade later, yes, I agree with you :smoker:

Yes I do. Test drive back then had you as a test driver not a racer as unlimited pits you as now.

Dude, I grew up playing Test Drive, to suggest it didn't have you racing is just wrong :) It did. Perhaps not with other competitors there but that was introduced soon after and well before NFS came to the market.

The bolded part below is the main reason I refer to this because that level is almost identical to what Test Drive had in it's original incarnation :cool:

Heck from the 2nd version onwards there have been more and more races, just like in TDU, with computer opponents.

Test Drive (1987)

Test Drive was a car game released in 1987 by Accolade. It is the original that created the sub-genre of racing hot cars while outrunning the police, a concept successfully copied by newer franchises such as Need for Speed. In fact, Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit pays homage to Test Drive: one of the tracks, titled Rocky Pass, consists of roads along the side of a mountain. Test Drive was released in 1987 for DOS, the Atari ST and Commodore 64. The game was the first real racing game for DOS. In 1988 it was released for the Apple II and Amiga.

In this first version of the game, the player is given the choice of a variety of different sports cars such as Ferrari Testarossa, Lotus Turbo Esprit, Porsche 911 Turbo, Lamborghini Countach and C4 Chevrolet Corvette. The player then must race up a narrow mountain highway, avoiding the oncoming traffic, police and the guardrail-free cliff. If the player successfully makes it to the top within the time limit, they are given the (virtual) car for free to keep. The game's graphics were considered as impressive by contemporary standards, with the Atari ST and Amiga versions particularly standing out.

The game sold more than 500,000 copies for the PC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_Drive_(video_game)#_note-0

Odd. The test drive I played on the Atari ST just had you as a test driver, not racing.

Very much enjoyed the DiRT demo on the 360, however, I'm too busy with Forza 2 at the moment, I may still purchase it later on though :)

My friend has it on 360, its pretty fun but the PGR series has always been my favorite

I've played the PC demo and I enjoyed the gameplay and the graphics. My problem is I have never been a big fan of rally racing, at least as a game. Don't get me wrong I have Colin McRae 2005, and both of the V-Rally games. They are fun, but I haven't finished any of them.

You know what else is fun? Playing with actual dirt. Go outside and pickup a handful and throw it up in the air and let it fall down on you. You should be giggling and running around in circles while you do this.

I have been playing DiRT with a wireless 360 controller on my PC, it runs really well but it would be good to be able to remap the buttons.

Well, I broke down and got it. I like it, but guess what I ran in to. That damned Starforce protection scheme. Asking for a CD key that does not exist. So, I wrote to Codemasters, and they want my DXDiag.txt. I am so tired of publishers, automatically assuming that my PC hardware is the issue. For once, I would like them to admit that they goofed, and you would think, that they would have learned their lesson, with TOCA 3 and Colin McRae 2005, and the Starforce issues!!!

Ok, I've vented, any suggestions as to how I can get it to work. I am using a NODVD hack right now just to play it...sigh.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back