Anyone know German?

Gary Pandher

OSNN Senior Addict
if anyone here knows german
can you tell me what this word means
'babooshka'
im guessing thats how its spelled..thats kinda of like how it was pronounced but not sure how its spelled...not sure what it means at all..if it is offensive im sorry didn't mean to..just wanted to know what it meant.

its not german, its russian

a woman's headscarf folded into a triangle and tied under the chine; worn by Russian peasant women
and btw, its spelled babushka

ep *he'll have to be lower case! ;) ) is right, although I am guessing it maybe getting used in a German way to have a slightly racial stereotyping angle, hard to say without the context.... if you could give that I could be sure - but it mught mean the sort of women who would wear that item - with children more or less grown, still going to market, gossiping, somewhat old-fashioned... you get the idea maybe?

Of course in the Kate Bush song it was something else again - so context is everything!

Baboushka is Russian and originally means grandma'.

Kate Bush I am sure sung a song about it, in the 70's, spose you groovers are too young to remember it.

Babushka in russian is "Grandma" (Deduska for grandpa).
For some reason people also call Nesting dolls babuska, which is totally wrong, their correct name is Matrioshka.
I think in German it has some kind of mythological meaning, but I'm not sure what it is.

i'll try and find out the context it was in and get back to u guys..thanks :) the guy who said it was from germany soo yea maybe he was speaking russian i dunno lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back