Anyone have a home security system?

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Anyone have a home security system? I'm giving some strong thought to getting one - wanted to see if anyone had any advice or lessons learned when it comes to these

We have on at our house, except we don't have a phone line since all 8 of us in the house use cell phones.

Beretta%2084FS%20380.jpg

The 380 is the best weapon for home defense. Won't go through your neighbor's wall if you miss and if you don't they ain't getting very far.

where do you live derek.. i'll come out and do a.. umm.. security assessment..

We had ADT for awhile when we first bought the house, it lowered the insurance on the house. They cam out and installed a monitored system. We went with the basic setup as the whole house monitoring got kinda crazy, so we went wtih prime traffic monitors. We don't use ADT anymore, but we kept the system as it has advantages, especially when the little ones start walking or old enough to wander on their own.

My friend has a brilliant home security system. Its about 3 yrs old I think, really dark brown with a caramel/light brown under belly. Its got real sharp teeth too and is called Zeus :)

We had monitored ADT for a while. Just use the system now and don't pay the fee anymore. What ended the monitoring was the time we had an alarm go off and they called my 80 year old mother-in-law to drive out and see what was wrong. When I cancelled I went as far up the chain of command as I could get at ADT calling them every kind of idiot and worse.

I/we will probably be getting a gun as well, but my concern is for when we are not there which is quite often. I travel a reasonable amount for business, and also want to know that both Erica and my home are safe.

I think I may call ADT and get an assessment, I'm in the same boat of not having a phone line. I have VoIP, but they claim that to be "not reliable".

I lived at a house last year that we had ADT setup in there, and our house had a wireless connection to a remote tower, no phone line needed. It worked fine, once we got used to having an alarm.

First time i went through the hall to turn off the system, it went off and I nearly ____ in my pants cause it was so loud!

We've had an alarm at my house for as long as I can remember. It's just a stand-alone system and isn't monitored. A few weeks ago my dad and I installed a new one since the old one was broken. Since the wires were already run if wasn't a huge job to do.

I personally don't trust these so called wireless ones, they seem unsecure to me. Nothing beats hard wired alarms.

it's harder to get around the wireless ones. if the signal fails, they send police out and call you. it doesn't rely on hardlines that can be cut. With the wireless you have to actually block the frequency range that it can broadcast from. although, i will say, having an alarm system is better than not having one at all.

I'm getting one installed today, I'm looking forward to it :)

I have one installed at my house.

I have had it for nearly ten years now, same one too, monitored too. The alarm company moved it to my new house when I finished building it.

Never had a false alarm with it. I do pay now an extra $5/month since last summer so a private security firm will respond immediately instead of them phoning me first if it goes off.

If/when I am away on vacation, the last thing for the alarm company to do is try to get a hold of me first, because that won't do me any good.

I have never used it, but it helps knowing that it's there.

Heeter

Yeah, we also get one move included in our package.

I agree, I hope this is the worst investment ever that I will never have to use.

System is rather complex, need to spend some time getting to know it this weekend when I'm back home (leaving the state for a few days).

Friend had ADT, It was not installed correctly and did not go off one night. Friend no longer with us.

I would get a dog :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back