Anyone ever used pfSense

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
http://blog.pfsense.org - it sounds good but is pf on its own good enough and is this just a gui for that? i have read the site but im not too clear on the subject (like most things to do with bsd)

what is the performance on your system with it running if i may ask.

i was trying one called untangle. nice reporting but heavy to run. and it took about 200K from my torrent speeds.

what is the performance on your system with it running if i may ask.

i was trying one called untangle. nice reporting but heavy to run. and it took about 200K from my torrent speeds.

What do you mean "took about 200K from my torrent speeds"

That is ambiguous. Torrents are not a good measurement in any way shape or form. How do you know it is the firewall you are running and not because there are less peers on the torrents now?

That being said, pfSense is a very cool project, I personally run just standard FreeBSD 6.2 right now as my gateway/firewall, with a very simple script, I will definitely be checking out pfSense in the near future.

It provides a web interface to do a lot of the configuration, with the proven reliability and speed of FreeBSD 6.x and OpenBSD's pf.

the Untangle software had issues with a large number of connections. when downloading a stedy torrent. with the firewall up i would max out at 500, with it bypassed i would get a little over 700. but it has crashed now LOL. so when i get home i will be reloading it with something. might as well try pfsence.

pfsense is basically FreeBSD 6.2 using the PF packet filter and a lightweight php frontend. It's not very far off carrier grade routing :) All it lacks is long-distance fibre transceivers :)

pfsense is basically FreeBSD 6.2 using the PF packet filter and a lightweight php frontend. It's not very far off carrier grade routing :) All it lacks is long-distance fibre transceivers :)

Experimental support for FreeBSD 7.0 is on the way! They already support some of the 10 Gbps second cards that are available.

canadian_divx: I run FreeBSD 6.2 with PF and currently have about 640 active states. This is a home network with 7 people using it 24/7. There have been times when we have had over 3000 active states.

A state in this regard is what the firewall sees as an open connection that has not been closed with a RST packet.

Just an update to this.

Now that my servers are no longer colocated I converted one into a safer (ie in a case) and quieter router based on smoothwall. I'm now getting the full speed of my cable broadband. Seems pfSense was slowing things down somewhere.

Hmm, that is weird. I know people that run it on GigBit connections and are able to fully saturate it between two endpoints. Is the hardware the same for both of them? How about the settings? Was one doing traffic shaping while the other was not?

Pfsense was running on a p3 1000,512mb ram, dual intel nics. No shaping
Smoothwall is running on first gen pentium 4 celeron 1.7, the 512mb ram from the p3, intel and 3com nic.

Stuff is definately flowing through smoothwall faster than pfsense, which really suprises me.

I would do some testing if it wasn't too much hassle to see where the issue really is (such as did I configure pfsense wrong, etc) but smoothie is working faster for me so I'll leave it at that until I'm sorted out in scotland.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back