Anyone else have a PSP?

RickyBaw

OSNN Junior Addict
My nephew got a PSP for Christmas. We've been trying, unsuccessfully, to add mp3's and video and jpegs to it for days now. At first, he had a crappy USB cable. We bought a nicer cable and now it connects to the PC no problem and we can transfer files from the PC to the PSP. But once on the PSP, we can't find them! When we go over to the MUSIC category, it says there are no music files to display. When we go over to the IMAGES category (or whatever it is), there are no images to display. I've searched over the internet and found some things about you have to set up the folders on the PSP (typically the E: drive once connected) that say MUSIC and IMAGES respectively in order to put those types of files on the PSP. We've done that and the PSP STILL can't find the files.

What gives? Anyone else have this problem?

I'll hang up and listen.

Is it one of those games where you have to use specific software (like the above-mentioned "Sonic Stage")? If you just dragged and dropped music into an iPod, it wouldn't recognize the music either. So they force you to use iTunes.

Melon

~bk said:
Did you format the Memory Stick?

doing a format will make all the folders you will need, and probably get it to work. Is it the memory stick that came with the PSP?

zeke_mo said:
doing a format will make all the folders you will need, and probably get it to work. Is it the memory stick that came with the PSP?

No, I don't think it is. I never thought about him formatting the memory stick. I figured he already had since the PC recognized it and could write to it. I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks.

We have a PSP and if you look in the manual it says open folder called psp and make a folder called Music inside the above mentioned psp folder and place your music there.

And for Pics make a folder called Photo inside the folder called PSP.

And the PSP will see one level past the PSP folder so PSP/MUSIC it will read but PSP/MUSIC/ROCK it will not.

So all pics and music must be only one folder level lower than the now Famous PSP folder.

No need for any other formats or programs it reads MP3's right off the computer transfered via the USB to the correct location.

no sony doesnt force you to use their software for the psp, just stick it in the correct folders and everything shows up in the psp, as for video you cant just throw any video in there, they have to be mp4's and heres a cool free program that will convert videos for the psp http://www.pspvideo9.com/

Kermit_The_Frog said:
We have a PSP and if you look in the manual it says open folder called psp and make a folder called Music inside the above mentioned psp folder and place your music there.

And for Pics make a folder called Photo inside the folder called PSP.

Thanks. Let me try that. It's my nephew's PSP and I didn't have the luxury of having the dadgum manual with me when he brought it to my house as the resident "computer" expert in the family! :)

I think formatting is the problem. You need to format the Memory Stick in order to see the folders. (Music, Photos and etc)

The folders Music and Photo need to be created by the user they are not on the system by default, formatting can be done there is a menu you can follow to format the memory stick, but this will not create the Music or Photo folders, if the PSP does not see there is a memory stick example, it was formatted in a cam or computer then it needs to be formatted by the PSP in order for the PSP to see the memory stick.

not true, mine makes the folders if i format it, and they were there when i got my psp

Well yours must be better than everyone else's then, it is clearly written in the owners manual you need to make the folder Music in the PSP folder the Video Folder was on ours when we got it, but not the Music and to format means only to prepare the disc or in this case stick able and ready to recieve information in the format that is used by the PSP or on a computer to format means to prepare the hard drive to recieve information it does not put any information on the disc at all nothing not a single folder.

With the PSP if you have firmware over 2.0 then some folders will be present but only if you have firmware 2.0 or better

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back