anyone crashing ie on aol mail?

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
don't kill me, my sister still uses aol cuz she can't change email addresses due to business

her ie as of late is crashing on one of her laptops, I gave her firefox but she prefers ie, anyone know what's crashing the browser?

I updated her flash player so that's not it

It only crashes using IE when browsing the AOL webmail? Any third-party add-ons? Post a HJT log? Does it occur every time? Try a different user profile? Try running IE without any add-ons (safe mode)? Try resetting web settings?

It only crashes using IE when browsing the AOL webmail? Any third-party add-ons? Post a HJT log? Does it occur every time? Try a different user profile? Try running IE without any add-ons (safe mode)? Try resetting web settings?
ya, that's the only site she crashes, I am leaving right now and will not be able to post log.

she is I guess stuck using firefox on this laptop till I return

What version of ie is she using?

O.k, perris. Just tell her to dump AOL and get a real email address lol ..

yeah i just tested my aol account. On IE 7 it froze up and crashed, and on Firefox it works fine.

Where exactly is it freezing up and crashing? Logging into the website? Opening a message, etc?

soon as she goes into mail ie just closes
I'd be curious to see if TechnoKid has the same symptoms. If so, have your sister join the forum and post a HJT log :D

I think my parents have an account - if I can get them to pony up their passwords I can try later too.

Is it Vista or XP Perris? Techno?

I'd be curious to see if TechnoKid has the same symptoms. If so, have your sister join the forum and post a HJT log :D

I think my parents have an account - if I can get them to pony up their passwords I can try later too.

Is it Vista or XP Perris? Techno?
tiz vista

Could be a list of issues:

1) Virus
2) spyware
3) AOL adding its own so called "addons" to IE
4) AOL/IE "custom browser" where AOL forces the user to use their version of IE and has messed up the settings of IE

5) Old cookies and temp files need to be cleared, could cause havoc. (CCleaner to fix)

The list of troubleshooting is long but a good start with what I listed.

ADDED: if not try using the repair feature in AOL or updating to the newest version of AOL

Last edited:
Could be a list of issues:

1) Virus
2) spyware
3) AOL adding its own so called "addons" to IE
4) AOL/IE "custom browser" where AOL forces the user to use their version of IE and has messed up the settings of IE

5) Old cookies and temp files need to be cleared, could cause havoc. (CCleaner to fix)

The list of troubleshooting is long but a good start with what I listed.

ADDED: if not try using the repair feature in AOL or updating to the newest version of AOL
ugg, I hate updating aol, I am going to force her to use firefox till I visit again

Could always try Remote Assistance or similar Perris :)

It's interesting that two people have the same issue, but I'm assuming it's not a global issue or I would think there would be something out there about it.

Try running IE in no Add-ons mode and test the site.

Click Start, and then type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box.

Click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) which will start Internet Explorer without add-ons, toolbars, or plug-ins.

Test to see if site works ok and if it does then it is an add-on problem. AOL is heavy on add-ons or at least they used to be.

Try running IE in no Add-ons mode and test the site.

Click Start, and then type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box.

Click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) which will start Internet Explorer without add-ons, toolbars, or plug-ins.

Test to see if site works ok and if it does then it is an add-on problem. AOL is heavy on add-ons or at least they used to be.
that's what I should have done while I was there, didn't think of it, thanx zombie

use the lite version of mail
I think the link is at the top
the way they display the news crashes a lot of browsers

the link says "back to classic site" at the very top beside the themes picker.
been awhile since I had to look at their site. they used to call it their lite version

it locks up the whole IE so i have to go to task manager and stop the program.

I will give that lite a shot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back