• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

anyone crashing ie on aol mail?

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
don't kill me, my sister still uses aol cuz she can't change email addresses due to business

her ie as of late is crashing on one of her laptops, I gave her firefox but she prefers ie, anyone know what's crashing the browser?

I updated her flash player so that's not it

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
It only crashes using IE when browsing the AOL webmail? Any third-party add-ons? Post a HJT log? Does it occur every time? Try a different user profile? Try running IE without any add-ons (safe mode)? Try resetting web settings?

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
It only crashes using IE when browsing the AOL webmail? Any third-party add-ons? Post a HJT log? Does it occur every time? Try a different user profile? Try running IE without any add-ons (safe mode)? Try resetting web settings?
ya, that's the only site she crashes, I am leaving right now and will not be able to post log.

she is I guess stuck using firefox on this laptop till I return

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
soon as she goes into mail ie just closes
I'd be curious to see if TechnoKid has the same symptoms. If so, have your sister join the forum and post a HJT log :D

I think my parents have an account - if I can get them to pony up their passwords I can try later too.

Is it Vista or XP Perris? Techno?

tdinc

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Could be a list of issues:

1) Virus
2) spyware
3) AOL adding its own so called "addons" to IE
4) AOL/IE "custom browser" where AOL forces the user to use their version of IE and has messed up the settings of IE

5) Old cookies and temp files need to be cleared, could cause havoc. (CCleaner to fix)

The list of troubleshooting is long but a good start with what I listed.

ADDED: if not try using the repair feature in AOL or updating to the newest version of AOL

Last edited:

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
Could be a list of issues:

1) Virus
2) spyware
3) AOL adding its own so called "addons" to IE
4) AOL/IE "custom browser" where AOL forces the user to use their version of IE and has messed up the settings of IE

5) Old cookies and temp files need to be cleared, could cause havoc. (CCleaner to fix)

The list of troubleshooting is long but a good start with what I listed.

ADDED: if not try using the repair feature in AOL or updating to the newest version of AOL
ugg, I hate updating aol, I am going to force her to use firefox till I visit again

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Could always try Remote Assistance or similar Perris :)

It's interesting that two people have the same issue, but I'm assuming it's not a global issue or I would think there would be something out there about it.

American Zombie

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
Try running IE in no Add-ons mode and test the site.

Click Start, and then type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box.

Click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) which will start Internet Explorer without add-ons, toolbars, or plug-ins.

Test to see if site works ok and if it does then it is an add-on problem. AOL is heavy on add-ons or at least they used to be.

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
Try running IE in no Add-ons mode and test the site.

Click Start, and then type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box.

Click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) which will start Internet Explorer without add-ons, toolbars, or plug-ins.

Test to see if site works ok and if it does then it is an add-on problem. AOL is heavy on add-ons or at least they used to be.
that's what I should have done while I was there, didn't think of it, thanx zombie

the link says "back to classic site" at the very top beside the themes picker.
been awhile since I had to look at their site. they used to call it their lite version

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saryrehgy