Any typewriter users?!

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Believe it or not I just picked up a small manual (Brother Lettera 12) typewriter that someone was throwing out. All seems in working order but has some fangled cart system for the ribbon... now I will probably try prising that apart and seeing if I can reink, but wondered if anyone here ever used one these days?

Partly out of idle curiosity, partly because they may help find a place to get a proper ribbon (and yes I have both googled and emailed Brother, to no avail so far :p )

In case you are wondering where my exact interest comes from, it is for my young daughter, about to be three, thought it may help with literacy and to (I doubt this) prevent her fascination with my notebook! I know, I know, I should get her her own notebook - but I don't want to spoil her too much just yet and they are overkill for a kid and do not produce the immediate feel a typewriter has.... she can work her way up... (plus she is getting a kid toy one with LCD display for her birthday in July! :cool: )

Sorry if I bored you, but the subject line let you knew what you were in for! :rolleyes:

Mainframeguy said:
In case you are wondering where my exact interest comes from, it is for my young daughter, about to be three, thought it may help with literacy and to (I doubt this) prevent her fascination with my notebook! I know, I know, I should get her her own notebook - but I don't want to spoil her too much just yet and they are overkill for a kid and do not produce the immediate feel a typewriter has.... she can work her way up... (plus she is getting a kid toy one with LCD display for her birthday in July! :cool: )
Thats a realy nice idea :)
I remember my uncles old typewriter, I was forbited to touch it, but it always fascinated me as a kid.
I think that you should try the old approach, start walking around various junk stores and maybe you'll get lucky.

Yeah, I used that once. I just thought I'd do a school assignment the classic way. It gave me hell. No backspace key! :eek: :p

Anyways, it was good to use something else for a change.

Started out in elementary school with an old Royal typewriter. Still have it, keep telling myslef that I will use it to write a book someday.

I have a typewritter, my daughter uses it. I had a panasonic electric typewritter about 13 years ago, it had a floppy disk drive, that was good. A little lcd screen you would type to/view and then when happy print and save to floppy.

I do have a very old typewritter about 40 years old , it don't work anymore as I can't get a ribbon for it, bought it at a BM for £5 15 years ago.

I would never go back to a typewritter again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back