any recommend a good hardrive?

F

fitfella29

i want a 7200rpm 60gb hardrive for about £80 / $130.any recommendations?

IBM makes a good hard drive that will fit ur needs 60GB IBM - 7200 RPM - ATA100 for about 90 bucks US.

I like my two 40GB hard drives that have same specs except the size.

:D

You can get a IBM 60GXP 61.5GB UDMA100 from here for £66quid

or you can get a Maxtor DiamondMax D740X 60GB from here for £81.60

and finally u can get a Western Digital Caviar 80GB Special Edition from
here

Enjoy
Dan

Lands End to John-O-Groats in a clapt out old morris minor with an old lady driving!

:D :p ;)

EAT MY DIGITAL WEST-END :D

Go for a Western Digital.

They are sooo reliable!

I just got a 120Gb Special edition version which you can look at here!

Don't buy IBM! They often break, more often than others it seems. I've broken two Deskstars. Seagate Barracuda IV is very silent and good. Western Digital is good if you ask me, haven't had problems with those.

No problems with either of my Western Digitals. Maxtor is good as well.

thanks for all the info i was actually going to buy a ibm until i got all the feadback from this.

XP PROFESSIONAL
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
512MB PC2100 DDR RAM
JETWAY 866AS ULTRA MB
LEADTEK GF4Ti4400 128MB DDR AGP VO DVI
40GB 5200RPM SEAGATE HD
TEAC 40X CD-ROM
LITEON 32X12X40 RE-WRITER
REALTEK 10/100 FAMILY FAST ETHERNET NIC
19" LG FLATRON MONITOR
MICROSOFT INTELLIMOUSE OPTICAL
CREATIVE SOUNDWORKS DIGITAL

I just bought 2 deskstars 40gb on 12/27/01, just bought a Seagate Barracuda to replace the 40gb deskstar that crashed. A friend of my has also replaced a few of the IBM's. Try your luck?

IBM, Maxtor, Fujitsu Siemens, Western Digital, all are alright, all have the potential to fail, some will fail. They are all fine, if one was really bad then it wouldnt be in business.

Just make sure you go with a brand that is well known such as those mentioned above. Look at the features and the prices to decide.

Originally posted by gtgarside
IBM, Maxtor, Fujitsu Siemens, Western Digital, all are alright, all have the potential to fail, some will fail. They are all fine, if one was really bad then it wouldnt be in business.

Just make sure you go with a brand that is well known such as those mentioned above. Look at the features and the prices to decide.

I could not agree more, all hard drives have a potential fail rate, doesn't matter which company makes it, so stories about (my friend's cousin who had a IBM hard drive that failed), are not a good indicaters of a bad hard drive.

going along that same logic I know people who have installed XP and it crashed their system = can't have XP

I know people who haved installed AMD cpu's and it crashed their system or didn't work = can't have AMD

I know people who have installed Intel cpu's that didn't work = can't have Intel

you get the picture :D

on a side note (the fact that I have had my two IBM hard drives for six months without any problems, is not a good indicator either) one could fail tomorrow, but so could a western digital, or seagate :p

why dont u try seagate baraccuda? its acceptable also.
7200rpm ATA 100.

Originally posted by Iceman38
the fact that I have had my two IBM hard drives for six months without any problems, is not a good indicator either
Correct, because (according to a small statistics collection in another big forum I often visit) IBM Deskstar drives usually fail after 9 months. Probably not to be trusted though :). But IBM do have problems. This is more than "my second cousin's last roomate's brother". This is more "more than half the IBM owners I know".

IBM's had a problem with their old 40 or 60Gb drives I forget which ones...they were problematic....although from dealing with the newer ones quite frequently I say a new IBM drive is your best bet.... problem is IBM just sold their hard drive's to Hitachi so get your IBM HD's while you still can!!!

As for you guys saying Maxtor is acceptible...you guys obviously don't work in tech support. Maxtor cannot replicate a drive every hard drive they release is minorly different from the next meaning you never know what your getting out of a maxtor drive...and if you plan on raiding HD's don't touch maxtor with a ten foot pole. Im not talkign about stories im telling you from one hardware tech to another...avoid maxtor at all costs...I wish i had a nickel for every maxtor drive that i have seen fail or for that matter one that just start's humming for no reason at all one week out of the box...i'd be a rich man...at least the good thing is warranty :p

Try IBM, WD, or Seagate. I at one time would say quantum but we all know where they went....

Zedric, while I respect your opinion, I think we are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this subject.

and I did say my two IBM Hard drives could fail tomorrow, once again I'll state it for the record, all hard drives have a potential fail rate, IBM Deskstars get pretty good reviews from everything I've read and seen, and sure there are people out there who have had IBM hard drives fail on them, but to make a statement that half of the IBM hard drives fail, is simply not accurate.

Your only hearing from the few that had hard drive failures, not the thousands that haven't had a single problem.

Just my 2 cents: I had an IBM go bad on me after about a year. Just locked up XP one day and started going "clunk clunk cluck" when I rebooted. One thing I will say: IBM is really good about service. I sent it in and about a week and a half later had a replacement; pretty decent turnaround considering shipping time.

Ive heard Maxtors and WD are pretty good though.

it was the IBM DTLA drives that were more prone to failure than others. I had one, but no more I am on Maxtor now.

Hey guys/gals. I have had all sorts of HD's over the years. I have found that Maxtor and Quantum to be some of the best and most reliable. The Western Digitals that I have owned have been for the most part a pain in the neck. I had one that would constantly lose data and a few others that just went plain bonkers on me.

I will have to say this....after Maxtor bought out Quantum I bought 4 maxtor 60g for my RAID array at home and when they arrived....they were all quantums......go figure......:D

Oh, and if you buy new and it runs at 133...you do NOT need a controller card unless you want to take full advantage of the drive....otherwise it will be backwards compatable to whatever you have that is lower, ie 100, 66, 33...etc

later

Originally posted by Iceman38
Zedric, while I respect your opinion, I think we are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this subject.

and I did say my two IBM Hard drives could fail tomorrow, once again I'll state it for the record, all hard drives have a potential fail rate
Yes of course.
IBM Deskstars get pretty good reviews from everything I've read and seen, and sure there are people out there who have had IBM hard drives fail on them, but to make a statement that half of the IBM hard drives fail, is simply not accurate.

Your only hearing from the few that had hard drive failures, not the thousands that haven't had a single problem.
I can only tell what I know. Fact of life. If someone asks me if IBM would be a good choice I will tell them what I know about the subject. And what I have learned is that alot of people I have spoken to have complained about failing IBM disks. I've only heard one or two complain about other brands. We are now talking about fairly new 7200 RPM drives of course. If you have other experiences, fine. I respect that too. But this is what I have learned.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back