Any opinions on the x850pro

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
I'm thinking of getting one and hopefully ocing it to a x850xt, which i hear can be done. Does anyone have this card, any words on it would be helpful.

I just don't want to build a new pc right now, i'd rather drag out my agp rig for a while longer, seeming as it is still running all the games i play ok, i just want a little more for a lot less then a full build.

Thanks

I don't know anything about ATI's cards....... I did recently upgrade an AGP computer with a 7800 GS. Best bang for buck AGP nVidia card is probably the 7600 GS/GT (whatever name). Best AGP nVidia card (and probably best from any manufacturer) is that terribly expensive and not available in the U.S. Gainward card (7800 GS+ or something similar).

Sorry I can't help you with ATI's cards. Hopefully you can compare what you're thinking of buying with some of those I mentioned.

Brain dead version of the X850xt PE (which was top of it's class in the day).

For $129 it's tolerable. Slower than my X800XL though, so don't expect too much. As for turning it into an 850XT. That requires you get a board with the correct wiring and support chips and a GPU that has the 16 pipelines. Unlikely at this late date since they killed the 850xt line for AGP a long time ago.

Can't you find anybody trustworthy selling off an older card for an upgrade?

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting one and hopefully ocing it to a x850xt, which i hear can be done. Does anyone have this card, any words on it would be helpful.

I just don't want to build a new pc right now, i'd rather drag out my agp rig for a while longer, seeming as it is still running all the games i play ok, i just want a little more for a lot less then a full build.

Thanks

Its a slower version of the XT cards because it has fewer pipes. You can try flashing the bios and doing that but there are no guarantees.

How soon do you need it?

I have been contemplating selling mine but not totally sure exactly when.

Let me know.

well i was kinda hoping to buy one on friday, the reason i don't want to buy a $300 agp card, is i plan on building a new high powered rig after christmas, and i think $300 is a waste, when the rest of my rig is pretty old.

I looked at toms hardware and the 7600gs and the x1600 are way way slower than the x850 pro regarding fps in game slike HL2.

why not just go with something a little older. Maybe a 9800Pro just to tide you over and save some cash.

You will notice a difference. But if you are planning on gaming at higher resolutions (above 1280X1024) you will need more, especially if you want more eye candy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102042

You have a decent chance of getting the R480 chip on this. If you do get one overclock it and if it goes above 440 stable onthe core with atitool it is a R480 and you can try to flash it. If not, get your highest stable and I can mod the BIOS for the speeds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back