Any mechanics out there?

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
Hey, I know a few of the good people around here have mentioned before that they are mechanics. Well, let me ask a question...

I have a 1983 Mercedes 240D. I'm trying to find all the grease fittings on the chasis. I haven't been able to find a good repair book, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction, or to a good website?

I know parts for those cars are expensive, we have a BMW and at our shop no one knows how to work on them hey our computers can't even talk to the cars and find out whats wrong..... stupid german cars :p

Yeah, I should've learned my lesson from the VW I owned (and hated) a couple of years ago.

Originally posted by dreamliner77
Hey, I know a few of the good people around here have mentioned before that they are mechanics. Well, let me ask a question...

I have a 1983 Mercedes 240D. I'm trying to find all the grease fittings on the chasis. I haven't been able to find a good repair book, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction, or to a good website?

one of my m8's lent me a car book... let me know what the problem is and what area of the car (ie suspension/engine/whatever) and I can try and look it up for you...

if you post here again in the next half hour or so I can help out... else I won't be home to past midnuight (not even noon @ the moment)

:)

Looking to lube and grease the front right axel and suspension parts. just looking for the grease fittings or where they should be.

Looking to lube and grease the front right axel and suspension parts. just looking for the grease fittings or where they should be.

I'll try and post when I come back... in around 5 hrs or so...

the book I have might need a little translating lol.. its in german...

my m8 speaks it.. will have him help me post when I come back...

I'll find out if it even has what you R lookin for as well...

On that model you mainly have stearing and front suspension grease points but not all of the parts (ball joints, tie rods/tie rod ends, stabilizer bar, steering knuckle) have grease fittings. Some are sealed parts that do not get regular greasing. They wear out and then you replace them.

I am gonna stick some attachments to this and following posts, the arrows point to where a grease fitting should be. If there is no fitting at that point then it does not have one there. Simple enough. :)

BTW... Why oh why did you have to have the Diesel? :p

First one is tie rods/ends and steering.

This next one is the swaybar (stabilizer bar) link (front).

And last, this is for the rear sway (stabilizer) bar. It does not have grease fittings but it is good to spray the ball socket with some "white lub" (lithium grease).

Again, there may not be a fitting at some of the points that I have marked in these images but that is about it. :cool:

thank god for gonaads posts lol..

I checked the book when I came back and checked what year you had posted... my book is for imports from 1992-1996... would not have helped much I think :(

sry... but cheers gonaads..

Gonaads,

Thanks very much, I will take a look at this in the next day or two. It is currently pouring like you wouldn't believe here (and the Sox home opener got rained out :(...

By the way, I only have the diesel cos it was given to me. About 18 months ago, I had a very nice 98 Ford Contour until some drunk idiot decided to blow a red light and end its life. But I can't complain about the diesel (well, maybe I can) but it just hit 250,000 miles today and it still runs strong.

I'm gonna try to lube as much as possible but I really think that I have a ball joint that's dying. Squeaky as hell, except now that it's raining, its dead silent...

Ball joints on these I think are sealed units... Me'z at home now and will check at work on Monday for you.

Make a SMALL :rolleyes: list of the things that you are interested in.

I have a OEM Mercedes Benz CD that is made with Flash/Shockwave or something Macromedia. It runs in a browser (Mozilla IE, etc...). I will check if your model year and chassis type are on this CD.

I will see if there is any way I can upload it onto my work's website and then maybe you can D/L it and run it. Don't get hopes up too much. I will do trial run on Monday.

Oh and the disk has pretty much everything. :cool:

Gonaads,

you da man! I knew we kept you around here for something :D

I thought it was because of his cute butt. :confused:

Gonaads,

I'm pretty surethat it is the drivers side front ball joint. If that cd has anything about that, I'd be very interested to see it.

Also, any idea how much replacing the ball joint should cost. I don't plan on having this car for much longer and am wondering if it is even worth it?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back