Any major difference between Arctic Silver III and V?

vuronev

OSNN Junior Addict
Is there any major improvement in temps between using arctic silver III vs V?

Just wondering, need to buy some more and found III for cheap and V for about twice the price ($3 vs about $7 +s/h).

Is V significantly better at lowering temps?

Define significantly better. Marketing at Arctic Silver probably calls it 1 deg C, lol.

Put the money into a better HSF.

Yes Arctic Silver 5 IS better. And it will work better with the newer/newest CPUs. Espesially with the much higher temps that these new CPUs produce.

Arctic Silver 3

Specifications:

Thermal conductivity: >9.0 W/mK (Hot Wire Method Per MIL-C-47113)

Thermal Resistance: <0.005°C-in²/Watt (0.001 inch layer)

Extended temperature limits: – 40°C to >180°C

3 to 12 degrees centigrade lower CPU full load core temperatures than standard thermal compounds or thermal pads.
When measured with a calibrated thermal diode imbedded in the CPU core.

Not electrically conductive.
Arctic Silver 3 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity. It is only electrically conductive in a thin layer under extreme compression.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arctic Silver 5

Specifications:

Thermal Conductance:
>350,000W/m² °C (0.001 inch layer)

Thermal Resistance:
<0.0045°C-in²/Watt (0.001 inch layer)

Average Particle Size:
<0.49 microns <0.000020 inch

Extended Temperature Limits:
Peak: –50°C to >180°C Long-Term: –50°C to 130°C

Performance:
3 to 12 degrees centigrade lower CPU full load core temperatures than standard thermal compounds or thermal pads when measured with a calibrated thermal diode imbedded in the CPU core.

Coverage Area:
Arctic Silver 5 is sold in 3.5 gram and 12 gram tubes. The 3.5 gram tube contains enough compound to cover at least 15 to 25 small CPU cores, or 6 to 10 large CPU cores, or 2 to 5 heat plates. At a layer 0.003" thick, the 3.5 gram tube will cover approximately 16 square inches.

And the extra couple of "bucks" you spend on Arctic Silver 5 is worth it. :)

Ah, lies, damn lies and statistics. Sam Clemens had it right.

Arctic Silver 3
Thermal Resistance: <0.005°C-in²/Watt (0.001 inch layer)

Arctic Silver 5
Thermal Resistance: <0.0045°C-in²/Watt (0.001 inch layer)

That is a whopping big .0005 °C-in²/Watt improvement.

With a typical high performance CPU running 70 W you will see a whopping big heat reduction of:

(.0005 °C-in²/Watt x 70 W) / 0.1875 in² = 0.18 °C

This is even less than I expected.

So, for a 130% INCREASE in COST you get (assuming, as an example, an initial CPU to ambient temperature rise of 18°C rise using Arctic 3 and a very good heatsink ~0.35°C/W) a WHOPPING 1% reduction in temperature rise.

WOW, I'm impressed. That's the kind of math that gets us $500 hammers and $1000 toilet seats.

LeeJend Moto: Glitter and spangles were created by marketing to distract the consumer from reality. DO THE MATH! Read the fine print. Challenge the bastards at ever turn.

Note that in the Arctic silver literature they claim no improvement between Acrtic 3 and 5 compared to "standard thermal compounds". Both say 3-12 degrees C. Marketing pure marketing.

well my 3 is almost out so next time ill be buying ill get the 5

That's why I buy My Arctic 5 on sale. :p

Man. I just used the tube of paste that came with my vantec aeroflow. i dont know wth it is. hehe

You sure that wasn't the toothpaste. :rolleyes:

got a cpu upgrade coming up and I ran out of my Arctic Silver 3 a couple of months ago, so I have bought some 5 now

well a lot of cpus pump around 90w dont they?
my proc @ 1.6vcore (mobo automatically overvolts to that.. erg.)
and 3200mhz, in theory, puts out like 100W... (there was this program to
calculate it... but i think it's based on like its stock wattage and vcore inc, etc...) :p

so like in theory again, you can actually save like 0.2C!! omg! :eek:

Nothing on the market pumps 90W. The new Intel stuff was going to be about 100 but they decided there needed to be new PS standards and better cooling solutions so they scraped the product line and are working on a new line using the cooler technology based on their mobile processor line.

And even if it a processor pumps 150W arctic silver 5 is still waste of money at a 0.4 deg C reduction. Marketing, pure marketing.

BTW - Marketing is a euphonism for bull****.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back