Any GoToMyPC alternatives

synical33

X2 & Lovin' It
hello fellow OSSN member, I have been pondering on a certain topic that has been boggling my mind for a few minutes. This program GoToMyPC looks like a solid program but I was wondering if anyone has heard of any alternatives or of any other type(s) of ways I can access my PC remotely and of course be safe about where no one can access it. Any suggestions are welcomd and help is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure how secure it is etc, but WinVNC is very simple, and is completely free. Not that many features however.

If you wish to pay a small amount, you can get the full version 11.0 of PCAnywhere from the Amazon.co.uk marketplace (The "new and used" section) for about £15 which is very cheap, considering version 11.5 is almost £100 in places. I bought one off amazon, brand new, full copy, genuine, not just host or anything, and it cost me £11 and is brilliant. Loads of features and security. Only downside is no box/instruction booklet, but a pdf file of the instructions is on disc.

I'm sure there are loads of other programs out there but these are the 2 that I have used.

Interesting I have been reading a lot about this VNC thing and came up on Ultr@VNC I might try that one as for the PC Anywhere thing thanks for the information RAY but I currently reside in the US (unfortunately). Thanks for the information guys.

I perfer ultravnc myself as well. I have used it as well as Remote Desktop. The problem I had with remote desktop is that in order to use a browser to connect the browser has to support activex. With UltraVNC (or any flavor vnc i believe) all you need is a java enabled browser, you won't get things like file transfer etc over a browser connection but it's free so what do you want. Like Ray said I'm not sure how secure it is, but it works well for me.

James

has anyone tested PC Anywhere? Is that any better or its not as good as any of the VNC flavors? Im really getting into this Ultr@VNC thing though it sounds like cake and on top of that I have a good familiarity with computers and what not?!?!??!

We use PC Anywhere here at work, and it is an excellent product, full of more bells and whistles than you can think of...but...as stated above, not free. We also use RealVNC, which, as far as the remote desktop function, is as good as PC Anywhere. The only real drawback is no file transfer IMO. As far as security, well, what do you want for free? :lick: Pick a good password! :laugh:

oh ok kool this FILE TRANSFER thing is of no meaning to me really but when I need it then I shall call on it. PC Anywhere huh I believe I might have to purchase a copy of it then. Or I can check my work to see if they have a package on their server for my laptop yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay lol !!!!

UltraVNC actually does support file transfer. :)
I'd say try it first (since it's free anyway), and if it's not good enough, give PCAnywhere a shot.

As Netryder said it does support file transfer if your using the ultravnc viewer software. One of the best things about ultravnc for me though is the ability to logon from any java enabled web browser without installing any software (except of course javavm, if it's not already). The java viewer doesn't have file transfer, but it's not usually that big of a deal for me as I very seldomly transfer files via vnc.

I'm not sure how pcanywhere is, but I believe that products such as GoToMyPC do allow you to transfer files via a web browser, but I've never used it so I'm not sure if that is correct.

If file transfer is not an issue for you, or if you are only going to be logging on from certain computers that you can install the viewing software on, then definatly check out ultravnc before you go out an pay for anything. I think you'll find it quite full featured and you can't beat the price.

James

I Use Access Remote PC

Functionality:
  • Lightweight (just 1 MB in size)
  • Transparently works through firewalls, routers, and supports dynamic IP addresses via our optional RPC subscription service.
  • Fast screenshot updates without using driver technology.
  • Fast response time on low latency networks including slow dial up connections.
  • Full-featured secure file transfer lets you access files on the remote computer and securely transfer them between local and remote computers in any direction.
  • Remote cursor shape support provides better feedback by letting you view the shape of the cursor on the remote host.
  • Clipboard transfer automatically or manually syncronizes the clipboards of the remote and local computers making it easy to copy and paste text between two machines.
  • Remote PC shortcuts let you create file-based shortcuts to remote computers. Double clicking a shortcut takes you directly to the remote computer.
  • Full screen option lets you view the entire screen of the remote computer without having to scroll.
  • NT service mode lets you access logon screen, and send Ctrl-Alt-Del to the remote computer.
  • View-only mode lets you view the screen and mouse movements on the remote computer.
  • Pause and Refresh lets you pause screen updates and manually refresh them one frame at a time.
  • Command-line interface lets you automate such tasks as installing the software, controlling the server, or running the client.
  • Drop down list of hosts available on the LAN automatically remembers host names and IP addresses and saves you from typing them manually into the address box. Automatically locates all computers available for remote control on your network within 2 seconds.
  • Automatically stops screenshot updates when window is minimized thus reducing load on the remote computer and the network when the program is not used.
  • HTTP/HTTPS proxy support (supports both GET/POST and CONNECT methods)
Security:
  • Password protection lets you password protect access to your computer. Remote PC Access uses Secure Remote Passwords (SRP) technology for authentication and key exchange. See also RFC 2945
  • Strong 160-bit RC4-compatible industry standard encryption ensures that no one else can view the information transmitted over the network. (RC4 is a trademark of RSA Security Inc)
  • CRC integrity checking is applied to the data stream before encryption to ensure that no one can change the information while it is traveling over public networks. Any change is detected and results in an immediate disconnect.
  • Unlimited user accounts let you provide remote access to a computer to any number of users with separate username/password combinations.
  • Individual permissions for each account let you specify what each user can and what he cannot do on your computer
  • NT integrated authentication lets you use password management built into operating system.
  • Logging writes information about every session to an MS Office-readable log file.
  • Optional manual acknowledgement of incoming connections for selected user accounts.
  • More about security...
User interface:
(see screenshot)
  • Well thought-out user interface will save you time, effort, and frustration.
  • One button switch between file transfer and remote screen.
  • Server icon in the system's tray provides single click access to the server window and all of its settings.
  • Hide icon option lets administrators hide the server's icon from the system's tray so that the users won't accidentally or intentionally close the program.
  • List of connected users lets you view the users connected to the server and forcibly disconnect individual users.
File transfer:
(see screenshot)
  • Two-pane UI design
  • Each pane can display either remote or local files
  • Classic keyboard interface
  • Supports drag and drop
  • Supports cut/copy and paste
  • Resumes broken uploads and downloads
  • Safe authentication, encryption, and integrity checking
  • Multiple user accounts
  • Transparent on-the-fly file compression for faster transfers
  • Access control lets you restrict access to a particular folder, and restrict operations to browse, upload, download, delete
  • Ability to copy files between folders on the remote computer
  • Transfer individual files or entire folders
  • Displays progress while copying and lets you abort any lengthy operation
  • Supports background operation
  • File viewer
  • Translates file times when copying between different time zones
  • Calculates size of folders on the local or remote computer
Coming soon:

The following features are under development and will be included in future versions. You may buy now with confidence, as all current customers will receive these upgrades FREE of additional charge.

Functionality:

• Support for rich-text, HTML, and image clipboard transfers
  • Scaled image of the remote screen
  • Text-based chat
  • Support for XP hot user switching
  • Terminal services support
  • Pocket PC client
Security:
  • One-time and expiring passwords
  • IP filter
  • E-mail notifications each time a connection is established.
$39.95
http://www.access-remote-pc.com/default.shtm

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back