Any free lightscribe labeling applications out there?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

One of my very good friends has been introduced to the possibilities of lightscribe. Unfortunately it appears he ordered the OEM version drive from Newegg, and didn't get any software for it. I downloaded the necessary software from Lightscribe, as well as their template maker software. I know they promote things like Roxio / Nero / Sonic can do labels with the right programs, but he doesn't have any of those. I even took a gander at Sourceforge, but none of the projects (2 that I found) have files associated with them.

Does anyone know of some pretty decent, free, lightscribe label making software, so my good friend can get all of the best stuff out of this technology?

I'm thinking you may want more, but you can get the
"LightScribe Simple Labeler " - "perfect for getting started in LightScribe and it works great for those quick labels with simple text and graphics."

http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/windows/index.aspx?id=811

Not sure if you already got this with the templates and system software.
It may help in the short term though until someone posts a better free software link.
I checked some of the the other vendor links on the page and it seems they all want money for the software.

Thanks Erbmaster, I think that's the software that he has, not 100% sure but I believe that's the one that I had downloaded. It is good enough that it will give him something to do with it for now until he gets something with more options.

Question: Is Vista by default able to label Lightscribe CD's, without having to buy any additional software?

AFAIK No it isn't, whether they intend to make it so with a future patch I'm uncertain of.
You're still going to need Vista compatible software to actually burn the picture.

Technically, the Lightscribe System Software is what talks to the drive to burn the images onto the disk - so, in a sense, XP and Vista are both able to "burn" the images onto the disk when you install the Lightscript System Software (free download)

Where you may have to pay is because you need to have labeling software that works with the LSS and tells the system software what/how to burn.

Thanks Fitz, but what i meant was so Vista does not have any software built in that can generate the labels and burn directly to the lightscribe?

Sorry Erb, when I was looking at the thread i only saw Fitz's post thinking only he responded!!! :p

No problem :)
Sadly I can't see MS developing the direct LSS capabilities straight out of the box.
They never did it with XP, so unless there's enough demand/pressure from LS users there's little reason for them to change stance.
I don't think there is a quick easy free solution to the problem.
Your friend is gonna have to either trial some software and burn all he can in the time available, or bite the bullet and buy it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back