Antivirus package

It used to always be AVG in terms of free and NOD32 for paid.

I'd change AVG to Microsoft Security Essentials now. Great anti-virus program.

It used to always be AVG in terms of free and NOD32 for paid.

I'd change AVG to Microsoft Security Essentials now. Great anti-virus program.

I think I will stay with Kaspersky considering you have no choice to not have spynet sending info. Hopefully it does not send info you would not want MS to have.

You can choose between two SpyNet memberships. Basic submits to Microsoft the detected software's origins, your response to it and whether that action was successful, while the Advanced membership submits all that plus the location on your hard drive of the software in question, how it operates, and how it has impacted your computer. Both basic and advanced warn users that personal data might be "accidentally" sent to Microsoft, although they promise to neither identify nor contact you. Opting out of SpyNet, however, is not an option in Security Essentials.

Its not the bad thing you make it out to be. Some threats can't be fixed without the extra data.

I don't care what they take. It's Microsoft, not some small random company.

Ya i guess as long as you don't have anything illegal on your PC like movies or something.

I don't use one .. There are some that I have tested over the years, but I like to live brave. Then if you know what you are doing and know what sites to stay away from, and use the proper browser; you will be fine ...

I'm sorry but that is complete bull.

I know what I am doing, but its stupid not to use one in this day and age. A new big virus could come around in anything that you normally do, and you would have no clue till it's too late. Better to be safe then sorry.

I'm sorry but that is complete bull.

I know what I am doing, but its stupid not to use one in this day and age. A new big virus could come around in anything that you normally do, and you would have no clue till it's too late. Better to be safe then sorry.

Ya that is why you always have so many problems.

In the 20 years that I been working with computers, I have never had a virus. I maybe got one or two trojans, but no viruses. I feel that antivirus programs are nothing but a bunch of hype. Now, if you are a computer illiterate idiot who don't know how to turn a pc on, then by all means use one; because you are probably one who clicks on everything he sees and goes to all the spam sites without paying attention to what you are doing. If you are insisting on using a antivirus, though. I always suggest the free ones - Avast! And AVG are excellent programs. Mse is o.k as well. Never waste your money of the hype ...

In the 20 years that I been working with computers, I have never had a virus. I maybe got one or two trojans, but no viruses. I feel that antivirus programs are nothing but a bunch of hype. Now, if you are a computer illiterate idiot who don't know how to turn a pc on, then by all means use one; because you are probably one who clicks on everything he sees and goes to all the spam sites without paying attention to what you are doing. If you are insisting on using a antivirus, though. I always suggest the free ones - Avast! And AVG are excellent programs. Mse is o.k as well. Never waste your money of the hype ...

To be clear, I consider Trojans a virus. And I am not going to keep this conversation going, cause we are both right. My main point was what happens if a site that you know is ok, a big site, gets hacked with a virus or something like that. I would know of it, you would not. But yes, if you know what you are doing you would not normally have any issues with not using one.

If you want FREE then go Microsoft Security Essentials, stay away from the other FREE ones as they do little to protect you.

If you want FREE then go Microsoft Security Essentials, stay away from the other FREE ones as they do little to protect you.

That is bold.

I think the free ones are mainly all the same. I choose MSE now because I like having Microsoft products on a Microsoft OS.

Actually, what I would do to protect my system is this - Take Ie and WMP out completely, forget about MSE; if MS can't get ie secure enough, what makes you think they can get an antivirus secure enough?

What I would keep is Firefox, and use Avast! or AVG. If you insist on using that is ...

As a note: I did remove IE and WMP from my computer ;)

That is bold.

I think the free ones are mainly all the same. I choose MSE now because I like having Microsoft products on a Microsoft OS.
I did some research. :) It's the only FREE one that actually does a descent job to protect you from anything (and I'm never on MS's side for anything in this forum). If you want real protect you still have to pay.

johnny said:
Actually, what I would do to protect my system is this - Take Ie and WMP out completely, forget about MSE; if MS can't get ie secure enough, what makes you think they can get an antivirus secure enough?

What I would keep is Firefox, and use Avast! or AVG. If you insist on using that is ...

As a note: I did remove IE and WMP from my computer ;)
I would agree about removing IE and WMP - I did it to my Win install 1st thing. :) I would also make sure not to use acrobat and check for flash updates every other day if you must use it (is an exploit weekly it seems).

Also MS came in higher rated then Avast! or AVG via av-comparatives.org.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back