AntiVirus Oddity

Tabula Rasa

Stranger Than Kindness
Political Access
I just had a wierd experience of fear and laughter, that i thought i should share with you.

When a certain person tryed to hack into a well knows media company (as a security consultant , not a malicious hacker), he already gained some access to the company's server and was trying to gain full access, so he uploaded a program needed to preform some operations in order to get full access. the only thing was , that when he tryed to run the program he got a "Bad command or file name" massage, which meant the file wasn't there. that person knew that he had already uploaded the program, so he searched for it, he found it in a C:\program files\SomeAntiVirus\Quarantine directory, which means the AntiVirus had identified the program as a virus and caught the file.

most AntiVirus products work by matching byte streams of known viruses to the programs and files your computer uses, so that person opened the one file program using a hex editor (Kinda like notepad for binary code) and saw the ASCII representation of each byte of code, since the program was already compiled (a process that makes Programing language files executable (.exe) ) he couldn't change much without harming the program.

then he noticed a plain text massage that displays every time you run the program, something like "Where do you want to go today" so he decided "what the heck, let's change that and see what happens" when he changed that line to "XXXX XX XXX XXXX XX XX XXXX" .

when he uploaded the file again the AntiVirus software didn't reconize the file as a virus!!! , and it is a popular Antivirus software that you may be using, keep that happy thought ;)

That's an obvious give away. I am sure there is only one program with that folder. :D

Originally posted by bruce_ers00
That's an obvious give away. I am sure there is only one program with that folder. :D

Well I only used one, so i dont know which antyvirus software has this directory, and which dosent.

umm benny can u put that in dumb a$$ talk plezz?:p

Originally posted by Henyman
umm benny can u put that in dumb a$$ talk plezz?:p

hehe :D
Well basically it means that antivirus software today is to loose.
if you piss someone off he can infect your pc with a virus/trojan horse even if your running an antivirus, he doesn't have to be a programmer , just have common sense.

the good thing is that 99% of the population on this world, doesn't have common sense :D

Benny I have been to Israel. I loved it there. That is one of my favorite memories of when I was in the Navy. I got a tattoo when I was in Haifa plus the food there was awesome....:D
I hope to go back one day!

Originally posted by Funky Dredd
Benny I have been to Israel. I loved it there. That is one of my favorite memories of when I was in the Navy. I got a tattoo when I was in Haifa plus the food there was awesome....:D
I hope to go back one day!

Thats really cool man, you where in the navy in Haifa? its more or less where i live.
good to hear people still come to Israel from abroad.

I was on the USS America, I came there in 1991. I had a great time. The thing that got me was the army or police would walk around with guns. I think that was the only thing I didn't like but like I said I had a great time and will go back someday.

Originally posted by Funky Dredd
The thing that got me was the army or police would walk around with guns.

Yep we are probably the only country in the world when you can walk into a bank with a m16 sub machine gun (If your a soldier).
but than again we are the only country in which you have to get frisked every-time you enter a mall.

Got i love this country :D

Hi Benny,

I was wondering because I got a good luck charm from someone I met, he brought from Israel.

Its a rectangular piece of SOLID PURE Silver with the Star Of David inscribed into it.

I cant remember what he called it. He moved back to Israel 2 years ago?

Whats it called?

:rolleyes:

Me got some spice right here....:eek:

Heres your ginger and nutmeg, the universe is MINE>>

Now hand it over,.....and OH, can I can a jamboree to go please..;)

Originally posted by Access Denied
Hi Benny,

I was wondering because I got a good luck charm from someone I met, he brought from Israel.

Its a rectangular piece of SOLID PURE Silver with the Star Of David inscribed into it.

I cant remember what he called it. He moved back to Israel 2 years ago?

Whats it called?

:rolleyes:

Well the Star of David in hebrew is called "Magen David (ma-gen da-vid), maybe thats it?
but it can be called many other things, if you have a picture of it, post it , that might help (might not).

Thanks Benny. I will..

P.S,

I dont know if this is the place to say this or not,
but I pray for Israel everyday.
Sometimes for a moment, other times for a long time..But everyday..

My prayers are with you and Israel;) :)

Originally posted by Access Denied
Me got some spice right here....:eek:

Heres your ginger and nutmeg, the universe is MINE>>

Now hand it over,.....and OH, can I can a jamboree to go please..;)

Do you not like my sig? :mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back