Antivirus / Firewall for Vista

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi. Do I need to install an antivirus and firewall to vista? In my XP Pro, I have ZoneAlarm Suite.

What Antivirus / Firewalls are compatible with Vista?

Thanks.

NOD32 Antivirus. If you have a nat router you don't need a firewall.

If I may ask. What is a nat router? Is it the same with a setup of a router device after a modem? I have a Belkin router connected to a cable modem. Thanks for the info.

A NAT firewall is a good solution for incoming attacks, but a normal software side firewall is good to know whats connecting out. The Vista firewall leaves much to be desired on the outgoing side.

you do not need nor should you use a software firewall on windows when you have a NAT router. You should configure the router firewall to limit outbound ports as well as inbound instead.

How do you tell your Linksys not to let traffic outbound from Windows Media Player for instance?

The linux based ones you can telnet to and issue iptables commands to them. Having said that there is no need to block traffic from legitmate applications and your AV scanner should catch rouge apps running or attempting to before they send traffic. If you have rogue apps running and your AV didn't notice it's time to replace your AV.

And thats an easier solution than a software side firewall how?

You still can't block per application via iptables, only by ip & specific ports.

Yes well like I said there is no reason to stop legitimate apps from accessing the internet. Don't use the app if you don't want it accessing the internet.

I'm also firmly believe people should learn to use their internet related hardware/software correctly if nothing else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back