Anti-Virus Software [Again]

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
We have no doubt done this before but as we all know times change. I've recently setup Windows in a BootCamp partition on my MacBook and was wondering what peoples recommendations would be for Anti-Virus software.

If it helps the majority of the stuff I will be doing within it will be checking emails, while I trust most of the senders you always get some oddballs so having some Anti-Virus in place is going to be a good idea

Commercial you have two choices: NOD32 or Kaspersky.
Free you have one choice: AOL Active Virus Sheild.

i use AVS but since a Vista version is out is been crap for me....doesnt want to update, try diferent things and no luck so i went back to AVG

Many thanks, I'll go install this when I next boot into Windows, going through parallels it keeps biotching about activation which I've already done so thrashing the parallels forums for a solution to that.

Avast is the best freeware antivirus available.

I've been using the free version of Avast now for about three months and it's been great. (knock on wood).

I think they all work quite well really.
And since most of you are savvy enough to know a suspicious file when you see one, the debate over which brand/version of AV makes you feel more secure is really mostly a subjective personal preference.

A friend had a bad experience with Norton AV years back and would never use Norton's again. And one co-worker says she likes the colors of the AVG icon on her taskbar. I like Avast because it seems very light on my machine...

I would suggest going with a free version first, practice safe surfing, and see if that suits your needs/preferences, or color scheme ;-)

BTW, I also switched to a free defragger after using diskeeper for years and I don't miss it at all!

If I have to tell one more person that AV is not subjective to the user but actual ability of the virus scanning engine I'm going to explode.

I don't care if you like the pretty colours of AVG. I don't care if Avast is light on your machine. They do not protect you. At all.

You have the three choices I listed earlier. Use them or use nothing.

Them's mighty strong opinions Lordy. Using your same logic, the millions of people in the world who are using Kaspersky, Nod32, Norton's, Trend PCcillin et al, are totally unprotected.

Like I said, it's really a matter of opinion. I'm no techie, but I practice common sense, make constant backups, so I don't have to worry needlessly. And I bet my experience with malware, virus attacks and trojans is no worse than yours.

That's my two cents.

My apologies for not reading your first three choices (you know what I mean). By the way I have used like Kaspersky and liked it a lot except for the price.

Avast, light on your machine? jeebus the damn thing throws a fit and blocks my entire machine when I download my office email. This is on my desktop not my laptop which i am to be installing avs to shortly

Commercial you have two choices: NOD32 or Kaspersky.
Free you have one choice: AOL Active Virus Sheild.

If I have to tell one more person that AV is not subjective to the user but actual ability of the virus scanning engine I'm going to explode.

I don't care if you like the pretty colours of AVG. I don't care if Avast is light on your machine. They do not protect you. At all.

i love to use again AVS but i have format 2 times, re-download the damn software and still it doesnt update......i google it for a solution but so far nothing has help me, so AVG for me, and if u have caution u dont get a virus....

no it's not. Do not contradict.

What's a going on? What ever happened to speaking to fellow members using manners? No one dare ask or answer question's these days for fear of being pounced on.

People being silly get pounced on.

People perpetuating spam, worms and viruses by using ineffctive software get pounced on.

People being sensible get manners.

People preaching their own opinions as fact should get pounced on.

People preaching their own opinions as fact should get pounced on.

lol:smoker: or just plain ignored :)

re: update issues there is a post on wilders...
Just add the entry:
Code:
127.0.0.1 download.newaol.com​

to your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file, and then AOL will use kaspersky servers for updates.. No errors then!
biggrin.gif

Just add the entry:
Code:
127.0.0.1 download.newaol.com​

to your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file, and then AOL will use kaspersky servers for updates.. No errors then!
biggrin.gif

thkz!!! that did the trick!

I've been a fan of using Avira recently. www.free-av.com

I've used AVG, AVS, Avast. I liked AVS which was good but I'm always testing something new.

Hell at home I'm testing the 2.0 beta of Windows One Care, even though the 1.5 was one of the worst programs I've ever had on a system of mine.

if you surf and use the internet safely I think any will do. some are worse than others...if my wife didn't use my computer I wouldn't use one at all probably.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back