anti-spyware in Windows, the good and the bad...

Son Goku

No lover of dogma
Ya know? I just had one of those convs that brings this up yet again. Apperently, when I was on the phone with my father, he was infected with some spyware. Luckily for him in this case, Norton removed this bit for him. However, in mentioning that he should get Adaware and Spybot, he was like "why should I download something. Norton removed that..."

Well, it removed that bit, but who knows what else might be on his system. Mind you, this is a person who well meaning, used to forward all the emails he got about supposed viruses that were making their rounds on the Internet. I'd look the thing up (not to mention that some of the claims like infecting text files and burning out people's hard drives seemed far fetched), and practically every single one came up as a virus hoax, meant to scare people...

The good side is, that with something bundled, people like my father will have something that can weed some of this stuff outa their systems, when it's something they aren't entirely aware of. The bad side, these same people can be left thinking they don't need anything more (if their prog isn't the most thorough, and in the case of Norton that is debatable), and therefore assume they're now safer then they are.

Hmm...

not to sound rude but...:suprised: you know as well as I do, that your fathers rig is prob' still infested with something. :smoker:

norton *shivers* is not a very good spyware remover. thus just having a antivirus will not detect and remove the scum. On average 3-4 anti-spyware apps' should be used. i.e. spybot S&D, ad-aware, Microsoft Anti-spyware, and even Spywareblaster. to block the nasty unwanted Active X and cookies.

but we know this already, its sometimes hard to explain that it so important now a days to be up to date on security.

The bad side, these same people can be left thinking they don't need anything more (if their prog isn't the most thorough, and in the case of Norton that is debatable), and therefore assume they're now safer then they are.

Hmm...

could'nt have said it better myself...

User education goes along way to this also, My wife thought I was being paranoid. That is until she got her own laptop and saw how much Ad-aware and Spybot got rid of. Now she run both programs weekly.

You guys should try spyware doctor, its pretty good.

I have researched Spyware Doctor, rated high it many tests. but IMHO, if you start out will a clean PC and take the precautions beforehand the free versions that i mentioned in my earily post work supurb. Plus...I dont like the idea of having to pay for a subscription. to each his own.. but if someone want to pay for a good software product, SPyware Doctor is a good choice, I also like Sunbelt, they really do supurb work in research and work hard to deliver a great product.

my 2 cents

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back