Anti-Censorship Rant

Glass

sgàthan ìnnleachd
I was replying to a post on another site about TV viewership declining and got really carried away with this rant because I'm really pissed about the new FCC rules that were introduced last week and ClearChannel canning The Howard Stern Show. I've been browsing NTFS since the early XP-erience days and just wanted to see what this crowd's thoughts are on this. Anyway, here's my rant;

I can't speak for every male between 18 and 34, but I haven't watched any television in over a year. I download a few HBO shows but that's it. Between commercials, censorship, and an allaround governmentally approved, tame atmosphere that strives to offend no one and appeal to everyone, even ultra conservative jesus freaks, television is really crappy, at least in America.

Commercials are really bad, and pretty pointless when viewed by anyone with common sense. You should never trust any sort of advertisement, because the purpose of an advertisement is not to tell the truth and allow you to decide what is best, but rather to sell a product. I always look for an independent and unbiased review of a product before making any kind of investment.

As for censorship, it is out of control. The fact that public information is completely controlled by a select few conservative christians is sad, and potentially scary. Here you have a couple of far right-wing religious fanatics deciding what is suitable for every citizen of the country to see and hear. These people even criminalize sex, the single most basic biological function. The excuse is always to protect children. Ever watch a Britney Spears music video? Protecting kids my butt. That crap is marketed directly to kids. What friggin adult purchases a Britney Spears album? Ever been to a beach? What is it full of? Kids and half naked chicks. No one is trying to protect children. The government has no business "protecting" children from TV and radio anyhow. That is purely a parental decision.

The FCC is shaping public information to their content, the way they want it, with no regard for freedom of speech or the American taxpayer. If anyone has listened to the Howard Stern show recently, words like "thrust" and "bukakke" are being bleeped, and for what? People complain about the content as if they are strapped in a chair forced to listen. If you don't like it, turn it off. It doesn't have to be taken off the airwaves so the millions and millions of people who do like it can no longer enjoy it. I don't like American Idol, but I don't call up Fox and demand that the show be taken off the air.

The biggest problem here I think is religion. I don't mean to offend anyone, but religion is very outdated. It has proved throughout the ages to be the single most dividing force known to humankind. It is responsible in some form for every major war in history. We've gone from The Crusades to the current situation in the Middle East and how far have we progressed? Untold amounts of killing, all in the name of "God". Shouldn't the foundation of our lives be logic and reason? I've always thought it funny how people base their lives on a fantastic, ancient text. If you wanted to run a successful business, would you administrate it by following a thousands of years old manual that had been translated some 20 times before it came to you? Do you have any idea how warped a statement becomes after it has been translated just a couple of times? Who wrote the bible anyway? It didn't fall from the sky. It was written by regular people with no grasp of modern science. So why treat it any differently than any other work of fiction? Really, I'm serious, WHY? I don't get it. But then, I don't get much of any of humanity's ideals.

you need to organize your 'rant'... its all one big sentence and difficult to read let alone understand.

Sorry, I fixed it. I got kinda carried away and forgot to format.

I am all for a rant but it should be as organized as possible so that you can convey facts along with opinion. Good job.

have to agree with you, i havent watched tv in ages, except for the occasional show. funnily enough when i had access to it i watched cable non stop, now that i dont any more i realise how much of a waste that was :|

PseudoKiller said:
I am all for a rant but it should be as organized as possible so that you can convey facts along with opinion. Good job.

Seems people can't stress an opinion without it being covered over huh.

I started a new thread in graphics and design as I thought it was the right place as I was impressed with another site I guess some of us visit from time-to-time and was whinned at why it was put there. I explained. In a passing comment I did mention that the word nazi on someones signature is offensive and could they remove it, they did more than that they removed the thread also.

That's called censorship.

In reading your rant, I found it difficult to determine whether it is censorship or religion that you have the issues with. Also, on account of so many sweeping generalizations that you made concerning who controls what and who can be labeled in such a way, I will try and respond mainly to the general arguments that you posed.

My initial response is this, you are far too idealistic. "Shouldn't the foundation of our lives be logic and reason?" Shouldn't they be or couldn't they be?... because there is no chance that this will ever be the case. The question is of no consequence because what you desire is impossible.

You touch on a point that I agree with, but you don't dwell on it long enough to make a good point of it. Parents should protect their children from all that is unhealthy for them, but the simple fact is that many parents aren't mature enough to do so. Is it wrong for the government to act as a safety net in case the parents fail? I don't think so.

Here's a scenario: You sell one type of hot dog. Many people request for it to be more spicy, while others request it be less spicy. How do you make your decision? You base your decision on what the most consumers want. If 4 people want less spicy and 2 want more spicy, then you will sell hot dogs that are less spicy. If you decide otherwise, then you won't be as profitable.

Did you consider that the FCC might make decisions based on what the majority wants? If your view was the majority, then you probably wouldn't have to be ranting about this. Wait, I forgot about the power of the "right-wing, religious, Jesus-freaks" that ruin everything... the ones that "criminalize sex," which by-the-way has to be one of the most absurd things I've read here in a while. No, I have to reserve that conclusion for the latter part of your statement, "the single most basic biological function." I tend to think that breathing is just a bit more basic of the biological functions... but that's way off-topic and I apologize for that.

Before I rap this up, allow me to respond to your bashing of every single existing religion in the world. First, it would appear that you don't believe in a God of any kind. If you did however, it seems you would assume that God would oppose any kind of war. Assuming that you are also against war, it would only make sense for you to assume that the God you believe in has the same views as you do. None of this really matters though if you don't believe in a God to begin with.

This all brings me back to the whole majority/minority concept. You said it yourself, you don't get much of any of humanity's ideals. Let me pose this question: are the meaningful things in life so different now than they were 2000 years ago during Biblical times? Will the core functions of business be so different 500 years from now? I don't think so. Relationships and love, appealing to and satisfying the customer... these things will never cease to be important. Faith is an important part of my life and a majority of all the lives on this earth. Faiths differ greatly and this creates conflict, but it's sad to me to consider life with nothing to believe in. Religion will always exist because a majority of people want some type of religion in their lives.

If you're so upset about these things, then my suggestion is that you do something to change the situation. Posting your rant in a few forums might garner a bit of sympathy for your viewpoint, but that's about it.

clear channel is the most dangerous, most destructive force in america...I have been boycotting anythinh and everytrhing clear channel

I personally would market a not-so-spicy and a very-spicy hot dog :cool: Why not cater for all the audience?

What is the clear channel? enlighten me :D

Religion is often used as an excuse for bloodshed when there are other reasons, such as land, power or money.

Carrio110 said:
I personally would market a not-so-spicy and a very-spicy hot dog :cool: Why not cater for all the audience?

Because I specified that you only sell one type of hot dog. Since it's hypothetical, I can assume that you don't have the resources to make and market both. ;)

the problem isn't with any company selling only one type of hot dog...the problem is with buying out every restaurant that sells anything buit the kind of hot dog you want people to eat, and then trying to make beleive your hot dog is the most preferred, since most people eat it.

then making sure that no other resraurant can buy anything at all so you can keep your lies of what people want to eat going forward

hat is what clear channel is, and what clear channel does

there is no force in America more dangerous then clear channel

frankly clear channel did not have a choice... they paid close to $1 million in fines for violations of all kinds stemming frm its shows levied by the FCC... if I was a business I would probably have taken the same steps...

however distancing itself from the very shows that MADE clear channel is a very cowardly thing to do.. they ENCOURAGED shows like Bubba and Howard Stern over the years since it was easy for them to get more listeners to tune in...

america has serious issues with political correctness and the way peoples freedoms are violated for the sake of small minorities all over (not ethnic mind... more wrt religious or social minorities)

even cable is overly censored... most countries don't bother with much censorship beyond a certain timeframe for a channel... but in america it is enforced 24/7 and lord knows some zealot is watching the show just waiting for something to happen so they can complain and have it taken off the air for destroying the lives of countless millions of people and bringing about the end of the world...

perris said:
the problem isn't selling only one type of hot dog...the problem is withb buying out every restaurant that sells anything buit the kind of hot dog you want people to eat

and that is what clear channel is

There are stations in my city that aren't controlled by Clear Channel. But anyway, my scenario was intended to be a possible explanation for some of the FCC's actions. When you have thousands of people calling in requesting something to change, threatening to boycott it if it doesn't change, then that will turn some heads. In Clear Channel's case, they had a lot of pressure from listeners that you might label "conservative." Whether they were all true right-wing Bush fanatics is uncertain. Conversely, Clear Channel could receive much more pressure from listeners complaining about their censorship, and that would probably sway them in a different direction. I believe that it's all about voice, and which voice is the loudest.

this thing with howard stern is not what's wrong with clear channel

the thing with clear channel is they will buy every station in a market, and put on the hosts that they want people to listen to, not what the people in that market want to listen to...they will fire hosts, no matter how popular, everyone that dissagrees with their "vision" of what america should be listening to is history as far as the clear channel philosophy...it's their way or the highway

they are the most destructive force in america

now, there's nothing wrong with a company doing this with a radio station that they buy, but there is something wrong with having the ability to buy every popular radio station in any market.

this is what's happened to the rules of conducting bussiness in these markets, and companies like clear channel have been given free reign to develope these powerfull monopolies of broadcast agenda.

for instance, clear channel in one breath made the sweeping decision for all of their stations no matter where in the country stern was broadcast, and they pulled the program regardless of the market demand.

now, in some markets, like here in n.y., the fine was small by comparison to the revenue, and in comparison to what this market calls for, and so, the local station still broadcasts stern

there is one simple example

other examples would be taking a talk show host national, because they like what he has to say, and not because the host has any attrativeness otherwise.

if there is something you shouild be scared about in america, it's a company with the power and the philosophy of clear channel

perris said:
this thing with howard stern is not what's wrong with clear channel

the thing with clear channel is they will buy every station in a market, and put on the hosts that they want people to listen to, not what the people in that market want to listen to...they will fire hosts, no matter how popular, everyone that dissagrees with their "vision" of what america should be listening to, is history as far as the clear channel philosophy...it's there way or the highway

they are the most destructive force in america

now, there's nothing wrong with a company doing this with a radio station that they buy, but there is something wrong with having the ability to buy every popular radio station in any market.

this is what's happened to the rules of conducting bussiness in these markets, and companies like clear channel have been given free reign to develope these powerfull monopolies of broadcast agenda.

for instance, clear channel made in one breath the sweeping decision that it made, for all of their stations no matter where in the country stern was broadcast, and they pulled the program regardless of the market demand.

now, in some markets, like here in n.y., the fine was small by comparison to the revenue, and in comparison to what this market calls for, and so, the local station still broadcasts stern

there is one simple example

other examples would be taking a talk show host national, because they like what he has to say, and not because the host has any attrativeness otherwise.

if there was something you shouild be scared about in america, it's a company with the power and the philosophy of clear channel

I'm not concerned with Clear Channel's selecting of shows and hosts because matching its philosophy is its perogative since it owns the stations. Monopolistic behavior does concern me though, and it should be dealt with regardless of whether or not I agree with the type of product that the company distributes. Clear Channel might be perceived as monopolistic, but I can't personally judge whether or not that is really the case.

Glass, why are you nowhere to be found in this discussion that you started? Do you just state your opinions and then leave without discussing them anymore? :confused:

muzikool said:
I'm not concerned with Clear Channel's selecting of shows and hosts because matching its philosophy is its perogative since it owns the stations. :confused:
untill recently, companies were only allowed to own a limited amount media...a very important restriction on big bussiness to be sure...this restriction was lifted...clear channel is the first company to take advantage of this overpowering tool, and they are.

Monopolistic behavior does concern me though, and it should be dealt with regardless of whether or not I agree with the type of product that the company distributes.
more dangerous a force or company in america cannot be found
Clear Channel might be perceived as monopolistic, but I can't personally judge whether or not that is really the case.
all you need to do is look to the markets that they pulled the stern show that clearly would NOT have been pulled in some of those markets if the local concerns were being addressed instead of the big bussiness agenda

muzikool said:
"Shouldn't the foundation of our lives be logic and reason?" Shouldn't they be or couldn't they be?... because there is no chance that this will ever be the case. The question is of no consequence because what you desire is impossible.
I can tell you first hand it is possible. I, and most of my friend's operate in this manner.

muzikool said:
Parents should protect their children from all that is unhealthy for them, but the simple fact is that many parents aren't mature enough to do so.
If so many people are incapable of properly raising their children, then we need to throw some chlorine in the gene pool. I don't care who you are or what your reasons, if you can't protect your children from your television and radio, get rid of them! It's no excuse to obliterate free speech for these incompetent parents.

muzikool said:
Is it wrong for the government to act as a safety net in case the parents fail? I don't think so.
Government "protecting" your children is OK? Are you insane or just incredibly naive? If a child sees Janet Jackson's boob is their head going to explode? Why can every other industrialized country in the world have blatant nudity all over every public medium and no one cares? Because the fact is, ultra conservative jesus freaks ARE largely in control of America and ARE on a religious crusade to rid the airwaves of everything they deem inappropriate.

You said my comment on the popular American government criminalizing sex was absurd. The whole Janet Jackson thing is a clear indication. Gay marriage is illegal. Gay men can be arrested and thrown in jail for having sex. Tell me now, how this comment is absurd?

Gay marriage is another example of just who is in control in America. Who the hell cares if a couple of gay dudes get married? Religious fanatics, and that's about it. How is this any different than women not being able to vote and black people not being able to marry? How is your life going to be adversely, or hell, just plain affected in any way if some gay guys get married? Why should straight men be the only ones to suffer? I can only hope we get a gay president who abolishes straight marriage because HE thinks it's wrong.

muzikool said:
Since it's hypothetical, I can assume that you don't have the resources to make and market both.
ClearChannel has more than enough resources to cater to pretty much everyones individual tastes.

Carrio110 said:
What is the clear channel?
ClearChannel http://www.clearchannel.com is a corporate media goliath which owns and operates hundreds of television and radio stations. Oh yea, and it's the devil incarnate, hehe.

Sazar said:
clear channel did not have a choice... they paid close to $1 million in fines
Neither ClearChannel nor anyone has been fined at all. ClearChannel had made up a new set of rules earlier in the same day someone called in with a racial slur that is used on the show every day. ClearChannel gave no notification of the new rules and knew very well that The Howard Stern Show would violate the rules and they suspended the show the same day. And still to this very minute, no one except ClearChannel even knows what the new rules are.

muzikool said:
Glass, why are you nowhere to be found in this discussion that you started? Do you just state your opinions and then leave without discussing them anymore?
It has not even been one day since you replied to this post. Did you want I should come home from work early so I could respond as soon as you got here? Don't be so combative.

Glass said:
Neither ClearChannel nor anyone has been fined at all. ClearChannel had made up a new set of rules earlier in the same day someone called in with a racial slur that is used on the show every day. ClearChannel gave no notification of the new rules and knew very well that The Howard Stern Show would violate the rules and they suspended the show the same day. And still to this very minute, no one except ClearChannel even knows what the new rules are.

um... yes they have...

http://radio.about.com/cs/latestradionews/a/aa012804a.htm

F.C.C. Slaps Clear Channel Radio With Record Fine For Indecency...

...The Commission proposed the highest fine the law provides resulting in a $27,500 for each of 26 apparent indecency violations. This $715,000 forfeiture is the highest ever proposed against a broadcast licensee.

kthxbai...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back