Another Wireless Issue

N

Not Bman

I have my friends new Dell laptop

I removed the bluetooth software as well as the HP Wireless Assist. Because I have removed those before without issue, and are not needed. After doing so, i lost connection.

Can't connect at all, so I reinstalled those 2 things. But I still can't connect, I see my network, along with others, but its like it doesn't even try to connect. I am starting to really hate wireless internet. I tryed repairing and all the normal tricks.

I have gone through all the drivers, settings, applications, it should be working. Ideas? Hopefully this is one of those things where I post the question and i fix it, but if not, please help!

have you tried windows own built in wireless? I hate dells as they tend to mess with drivers so you can only use the ones from their site

Yea I have it set so windows manages the connections and all that, no luck. (And oops, i said dell? I mean't HP)

The weird part is both the HP Wireless Assist and the Bluetooth tool are not needed for internet use, and I have removed them before.

try reinstalling the drivers from hps site, or if it has an intel wireless card grab the latest proset from them.

See if that makes any difference, or if its one of those laptops with a switch for the wireless you have made sure its switch to on i assume ;)

check the bios to enable the wireless drivers manually. There is that option under bios.

run the hp health check program, and reinstall what ever it suggest needs updating or installing

I began to have some major issues, things not loading, computer slow.

So I am just reformatting and reinstalling.

Thanks guys.

Fresh install, ran the disc with all the drivers.

Still nothing. I can't f*cking stand this crap. Seriously XP and Wireless is a NO NO!

im guessing this is with xp sp3 which should have all the updated wpa2 patched in it, have you tried using the wired connection to get all the updates from hp site? maybe there is something there that will aid you

Well the laptop is like brand new, drivers should be fairly new, and plus nothing would be that new where my drivers would not allow it to work.

I did try a wired connection, and 2 things in the Device Manager won't install, but they aren't related to internet.

So I installed all possible programs and drivers, downloaded latest and tried those.

I have reformatted and still no luck.

So I just went and installed Windows 7 Ultimate RTM on it, and it still won't connect to any wireless network. So clearly it's not a driver issue, or program issue because it can detect networks. How can I test to see if the hardware is broken (even though I had it working originally for about an hour).

See when I first booted it up (had xp) it did it's first fun, and I was doing all the things I needed, for about an hour or 2, once I removed 2 applications like I stated in the original post, it stopped working, but as I stated with reformatted and reinstalling all drivers and such, clearly that was not the cause.

Ideas at all?

Have you looked in the router logs to see why the laptop is being rejected?

I didn't look at the logs, but I did change a setting.

I set it from mac filtering, to 100% open. I have had it set so that it uses the filter of mac addresses only, except that every other laptop that came in the house could use it anyways. For some reason this one needed to be added, very weird.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back