Another win 7 Upgrade?

Bucky Badger

OSNN Addict
I want to get win 7. I can get the upgrade for 30.00. I have Win XP upgrade, and a Win XP OEM. Both are 32bit. With the Win7 upgrade can I do A fresh install of it? Can I order 64bit or do I have to stay with 32bit.

I want to get win 7. I can get the upgrade for 30.00. I have Win XP upgrade, and a Win XP OEM. Both are 32bit. With the Win7 upgrade can I do A fresh install of it? Can I order 64bit or do I have to stay with 32bit.

When upgrading from XP you have to do a clean install and you can choose 32 or 64.

Yes, you can use a "7" upgrade DVD to clean install. You'll have to google for it. I believe it was posted how on Tom's Hardware.

Yes, you can use a "7" upgrade DVD to clean install. You'll have to google for it. I believe it was posted how on Tom's Hardware.

Huh?

You had to jump through hoops for Vista but with Win 7 you can just boot from the DVD and install even with upgrade media.

even the bit of paper that comes with 7 tells you to do a fresh install if you are using xp

You "ALWAYS" do a fresh install with windows os's- "NEVER" an upgrade. No matter what version they are .

simple answer no - upgrade disk requires a base system to be installed over, and we also informed him its best to do a clean install as it would be better for him, just because we may give more info than what is asked does not mean it is wrong to do so

Also from the link it says "After performing the clean install" - clean install with what, there is no way to do a clean install with an upgrade disk, sounds to me the clean install her refers to is using the upgrade disc on a system that has had no updates installed, bit misleading i feel

and we also informed him its best to do a clean install as it would be better for him, just because we may give more info than what is asked does not mean it is wrong to do so

I only said it that way because nowhere did he say he was interested in even attempting an Upgrade Install, or that he thought one would work, so it just seemed weird to me that you and Johnny were telling him that he shouldn't do one. I'm not trying to squash opinions or information, it just seemed to me that you two had misunderstood his question.

Also from the link it says "After performing the clean install" - clean install with what, there is no way to do a clean install with an upgrade disk, sounds to me the clean install her refers to is using the upgrade disc on a system that has had no updates installed, bit misleading i feel

Why do you say that there isn't a way to do a clean install with an upgrade disc? You could with Vista Upgrade and it doesn't surprise me that you can with a 7 Upgrade DVD as well. I take everything with a grain of salt on the internet, as everyone should, but do you really think that Paul Thurrott is lying?

I don't have an Upgrade DVD so I have no way to verify it myself. If you don't have one then you can't verify it either. It may or may not work. The poster wondered if it was possible. I gave him a link to information supporting that it is possible, American Zombie indicates that it's very easy to, and you expressed your unsupported opinion that you can't. Maybe you don't think it's worth the trouble, but I think the poster can decide whether or not it's worth it to try to do it himself.

Peace.

Maybe you don't think it's worth the trouble, but I think the poster can decide whether or not it's worth it to try to do it himself.

Peace.

Even ms dont advise it, so you going to tell them they are wrong also?

If the user wants to piss about with reg hacks fine up to them, its faster to do a clean install.

Of course MS doesn't advise it. They're not looking to have people spend less money than they could be spending. MS says all sorts of things and people continually show that you can do things that MS says can't or shouldn't be done. Personally, I love doing things with software or hardware that aren't meant to be done.

Microsoft official method for clean install using upgrade media

Microsoft official method for clean install using upgrade media

Posted by Steven Bink November 2, 2009 4:18 PM with 1 comment(s) Filed under: .NET, Windows 7

Microsoft is now communicating (in an official Dutch Press Release) their method of doing a clean install using upgrade media of Windows 7. It is the same method that worked with Vista and involves installing it twice:

• Do a clean install of Windows 7 using an upgrade installation media (DVD/USB)
  • When installation is done, do not activate it, as it will not accept your product key.
  • Within 30 days (or before activating is required) do an upgrade installation again of using Windows 7 upgrade media (DVD/USB).
  • Now you will be able to activate Windows 7 using your product key
Microsoft does not recommend doing the “upgrade hack” first mentioned by Paul Thurrott last week and which caused quite a stir, because a Microsoft blogger indirectly accused Paul of promoting piracy, which in its turn was probably caused by sites re-printing Paul's article with titles like “Windows 7 install trick saves up to $100” Read Paul’s reply on that: Enough, Microsoft. No One Is Endorsing Piracy. Obviously. - SuperSite Blog.

The press release only mentions Vista and XP as legitable upgrade OSes. I wonder why a Windows 2000 machine would not be supported (if it has the required hardware)

The Dutch press release is not available online yet

Looks like it is time to finalize this thread.

Yes, you can use the Win 7 upgrade to do a clean install BUT to be legally licensed you MUST OWN a previous version of Windows that qualifys for the upgrade such as Windows XP.
If you do not have a previous version then you can not legally use the upgrade media to do a clean install.

Attachments

• win7up.PNG
    win7up.PNG
    65.1 KB · Views: 126
Win-7 upgrade comes with both 32 and 64 bit disks. I installed it to a new hard drive. It asked to see a legal copy of XP and it accepted a XP home upgrade version.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back