Another reason not to use aol

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political Access
I got an AIM from some random name about an app. Looks like aim is getting worse.

I was curious and clicked the link; it was a file name aim.com. I am getting tired of aol's garbage and its lack of user privacy. Grrrr.

Last edited:
Hm, i have never had any issues like this. Not saying i wont, after all stranger things have happened. :eek:

sounds like a worm

i've seen so many people click a link in messenger think a friend sent it

they run the file and it makes there computer send theem out and you are oblivious that you are sending these things out.

butr who knows

You use trillian right? Oh, and I like the file name of that pic :p

Aprox said:
You use trillian right? Oh, and I like the file name of that pic :p

whistle.gif

egghead said:
sounds like a worm

i've seen so many people click a link in messenger think a friend sent it

they run the file and it makes there computer send theem out and you are oblivious that you are sending these things out.

butr who knows

I didnt run it, just clicked it to see what it would do. I have to format in a few days anyway thought I would live life on the edge :cool:

You guys needed a reason?

There's always their user agreement... latest clause is a wee bit scary... heh. ... don't use it for work chat... ;)

New clause in AIM's user agreement that will make its users think twice before implementing AIM for either purpose:

"You waive any right to privacy. You waive the right to inspect or approve uses of content or to be compensated for any such uses."

"In addition, by posting content on an AIM product, you grant AOL, its parent affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt, and promote this content in any medium."

Ouch.

Mastershakes said:
"You waive any right to privacy. You waive the right to inspect or approve uses of content or to be compensated for any such uses."

"In addition, by posting content on an AIM product, you grant AOL, its parent affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt, and promote this content in any medium."
I believe AOL has since changed the terms.

Also I've used AIM network for years and never had a IM SPAM. I would guess you've made your self a target somehow. Also clicking on a link from someone you dont' know in an IM is the same as clicking one in a email from someone you don't know. If your going to format or not thats just dumb and has the potential to damage more then just your system. :(

This looks like another I'm going to blame some software instead of myself type thread.

Xie said:
This looks like another I'm going to blame some software instead of myself type thread.

I know its not aol's fault, but its just icing on the cake. Like I said
Another reason not to use aol

zeke_mo said:
I know its not aol's fault, but its just icing on the cake. Like I said
The same thing could happen with most of the major IM services. Best not use IM then?

Exactly, same with the internet. I no longer use the internet; I am posting with my mental powers. Pretty cool huh? :cool:

zeke_mo said:
Exactly, same with the internet. I no longer use the internet; I am posting with my mental powers. Pretty cool huh? :cool:

Don't do it too much or you'll strain your brain. :p

06.png
I think that it would be fine if we wanted to feed thomas waffles while he shaves the cat
06.png

If you look at my picture you can see that i am currently in the process of wiping spam out :D

wipeegglarge3ka.gif

I won't quite until i'm satisfied hehe j/k

I have noticed that some programs are capable of modiying some instant messenger programs and use it to advertise.

i think this might be working into a new model of free versus paid instant messenger.

also we can soon be seeing the "you aggreed to let me use your im to promote our products and third parties software" age..... :suprised:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back