Another Logon Script Problem

jonny813

OSNN Addict
Ive just been messing around with Windows Server 2003 with group policy etc. and was wonderin how to make both a network connection to the users documents and a shared area appear in My Computer as network drives when the user logs on. Curently I have to do it manually when I logon using Tools>Map Network Drive etc. Would this require a logon script or how could I achieve this? Is there any eaxmples as well that i could work off since i have no experience with script writing

and yes, you can write up that batch file and make it a logon script to map the drive at each login (assuming they are connected to the domain when they login with their domain account)

Thanks for that kcnychief and fitz, will try when i get home from school. Why couldnt Help and Support put it like that?

Login scrips go in C:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\sysvol\domain_name\scripts

They also need to be added to the AD Profile as well

Thnx got it working (rep to be added) now finally I got this sample script from MS for adding a printer connection and assinging a default printer. I myself cant get much from it so can someone show me where i put my unique information in to allow it to work? They look like this:

Add printer connection:

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\PrintServer1\Xerox300"
WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\PrintServer1\Xerox300"

Set default printer:

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colInstalledPrinters = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_Printer Where Name = 'ScriptedPrinter'")

For Each objPrinter in colInstalledPrinters
objPrinter.SetDefaultPrinter()

Also, MS said that the printer connection has to be run locally on the computer, how can I make this happen. I know I should get a book but I have no money lol thnx for any help

I know I should get a book but I have no money lol thnx for any help
You don't necessary need a book. There is a wealth of scripting info out on the web if you take the time to learn and understand what you copy/write. But given your apparent lack of experience administering a network, I would probably suggest a good class to start with. Spend a little money for class now, or spend a lot of time/money/headache later when you screw something up because you don't know what you are doing.

Thnx got it working (rep to be added) now finally I got this sample script from MS for adding a printer connection and assinging a default printer. I myself cant get much from it so can someone show me where i put my unique information in to allow it to work? They look like this:
I'm going to hack this up a bit..

Add printer connection:
Code:
dim strPrintPath 

'add the UNC path to the printer here
strPrintPath= \\printServer\printerShareName

'creates the object
Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

'adds the printer connection
WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection strPrintPath

'sets the default printer
WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter strPrintPath

Set default printer:

Umm.. the script above already set the default printer.

Also, MS said that the printer connection has to be run locally on the computer, how can I make this happen.
Logon scripts execute locally on the computer.

Thanks for that, actually got it working at home last night but dont have internet access at home at the minute so couldnt have said, good ive got them all working now, thnx

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back