Another Linux Newbie

Guybo42

OSNN Addict
Hi all.

Where can I get the best description on how the linux file system works ? I've looked at a few sites trying to figure out what the equivalent would be to windows explorer for example or even how to find some file I've downloaded !
As you can very well see, they don't come much greener than me right now lol. But I really find the Linux thing interesting and am willing to learn so can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks in advance.

By the way, installed Mandrake 10.1 PR

how do you mean the filesystem?
the physicality of how it operates or the way things are laid out?

I guess both would be the right answer, I have absolutely no idea about either. I have looked throught this forum and am actively reading everything I can find but after being a window user for so long I have to undo all the damage that was brainwashed into my fragile cranium lol.

Interesting .. double checked your link via google vern but the site won't load for me. :(

quick thing for the layout of where things are

open a command terminal in unix/linux and type
man hier

you will then the manual page about the hierarchy of the unix/linux file system

btw you press 'q' to exit from the manual page system if you are in one of those stupid linux os's instead of the nice and easy Ctrl+C on a proper Unix OS like one of the BSD's

Works fine here. They probably were just osnn'ed. heh. It was down some time ago too, but now it's fine.

vern said:
Works fine here. They probably were just osnn'ed. heh. It was down some time ago too, but now it's fine.
Yeah link worked fine when I tried it again this morning .. very odd. :p

I didn't follow the above links so I don't know if your question was answered. Which linux file system were you refering to? There are several to my knowledge. EFS2, EFS3, XFS, and RiserFS to name a few. Some are journaling, some are not.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back