Annoying mouse problem in Win XP

D

Darkwolven1

I have Windows XP pro installed and also the MS intellimouse software installed. I recently had to run a "repair" of Windows XP because a few things were not working but I really did not want to do a full reinstall unless I absolutely had to. [had a nasty little data corruption problem because of a hardware issue] and now after the repair my mouse cursor "snaps" to every default button in an open window. I have never had this selected before. I find it horribly annoying. Everything else works fine. I checked in the mouse settings and "Snap to" is not selected. I tried enabling it and then disabling it again, but this did not work. I uninstalled the intellimouse software and then reinstalled it with no luck. How can I turn this off without reinstalling windows again? Is there a place in the registry to turn this off and if so, why does the GUI switch not work properly? Please help! It's driving me crazy!

go to

Start, Control Panel, Mouse, Pointer Options

untick "Automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialog box"

click OK, and there ya go :)

I hope the above post fixed your problem.

However I also have a small mouse problem. Is there a way to totally get rid of "Enhanced pointer precision"? I normally don't have any issue with this since most of the time it stays off. But occasionally when I play a games, it automatically turns on in games and stays on after I exit. i.e. (Counter-Strike, NFS6, AOM, etc...)

So are there some files I can delete that will totally get rid of this feature?

Originally posted by TechSupport
go to

Start, Control Panel, Mouse, Pointer Options

untick "Automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialog box"

click OK, and there ya go :)

Nope, I tried that already. I thought I inferred that by saying I futzed with the software, but I guess that wasn't clear. I checked following some instruction I found online for setting this in registry. The settings were there and snapto was already off. The page said that deleting the keys would also turn off snapto and that didn't work either. It still snaps after reboot! This is freakin' weird.

Any bright ideas? I guess I could try rolling back the drivers for the device, but seeing as it is a device instruction inside windows I don't expect it to work

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back