annoying low disk space popup

A

akela

How can I disable the low diskspave popug thingy under xp?

I think i've checked all the tags pertaining to it under system, but it still pops up

thanks

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/Explorer]

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/Explorer]

Value Name: NoLowDiskSpaceChecks

Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

Value Data: (0 = default, 1 = disable messages)

You have to create it> Here a bit bit more of the same>
Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\ Explorer.
If it's not there, create a DWORD value and call it NoLowDiskSpaceChecks.
Double-click on NoLowDiskSpaceChecks, and enter the value 1, and press OK.

ya.. thanks :D
I was gonna post that same question too... but I was just to lazy to get around to it... :confused:

one more thought... is there also a reg key i can add to get rid of the "network card disconnected" pop-up? i find it very annoying and since i don't have anything to plug my network card into for now (yes.. i've just got dialup :() i just disable the card and then re-enable it when i do need it.

If it shows up in the device manager you could try disabling it in there.

That's what I've done... but I want to leave it enabled but not have the popup coming up telling me that I've got a disconnect network cable... If you have a network or are on broadband just do a quick test and unplug your cable from your card.. then you'll see which popup I'm talking about.

Balloon tips in general are annoying, do the following to get rid of them:

Open your registry and find or create the key below.
Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "EnableBalloonTips" and set it according to the value data below.
Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Registry Settings
User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Advanced]
Value Name: EnableBalloonTips
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

ya.. I know about that one... but some of the balloon tips are actually helpfull for me... such as telling me if my dialup connected at 26.4 or 12.0 kbps as opposed to the max I can get of 28.8 (I hate my dialup here.. that's the fastest I can get on a 56k modem). w/o the balloon i'd have to manually check the speed by hovering my mouse over the icon for a while or clicking it to see the connection details... both of which I'd rather not do.
Sooooo.... does anyone else have ne input into a solution to get rid of that balloon tip for an unplugged network cable?

thanks for the input neways muzicool

You can go into network connections and DISABLE the network connection. This will get rid of the icon. I assume you do not use the connection. If you wnat to get rid of the low disk balloon, there is a feature in Customizer XP or Tweak Now power tools to diable this annoying deal.

Larz

lol.. yes i know... that's how i have been getting around it and will continue to unless someone has a reg key i can use to disable the SPECIFIC balloon message...
thanks neways

simply put, here is what i want:
disable the "A Network cable is unplugged" balloon message without disable all balloon messages AND without disabling my network card.

Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

add a dword DisableDHCPMediaSense and set it equal to 1

Why do my reg keys keep breaking in odd places?

ya.. I was just reading up on that on the Microsoft KB and I would use it... but it disables some other features that I'd like to keep...
hmmm... I guess I'll just continue on the way I have been doing it (just disabling the network and re-enabling it when I need it).

How about making room on your drive?
transfer stuff you don't use to often to Cd-R.

Grym ( and only a suggestion ) blayd

well... for the low disk space balloon popup, if you have a seperate partition for a swap file and use pretty much all of it for just the swap file (I live like 30 MB or something just cause) then you can't just move that to a CDR but you still get the popup.... so disabling them is very nice.

no need for all that

Just download the windows xp power toy TweakUI

Use it to disable the ballon tips and low disk space warning.

I wasn't saying he should do that... I was just giving him an example as to why I would want to disable JUST the low disk space popup.
As far as what is easiest to do for disabling, I would say using the registry is far easier than using tweakui if you know where to go in the registry... then you can make a reg file to apply your tweaks and then when you format your hard drive all you have to do is click one reg file and all your tweaks are installed... as opposed to downloading, installing, searching for the right tweak, and then applying it.
Just my opinion... and I realize that not everyone has the knowledge to work with the registry so then it would be best for them to use tweakui... or someone from this site could send them a reg file to do what they want.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back