Annoying Internet Explorer sound.

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
Ok
I have XP SP2. IE is upgraded to the latest version. I have all the windows sound scheme set at "no sounds". So here is the problem..

My work has a ticketing system for help deks cases. It auto refreshes after a few mins. Each time it refreshes it makes a CLICK sound. It is extremelly annoying. I have searched for *.WAV and listened to EVERY wav file and it is not there. I cannot give out the website for my ticketing system as it requirres a username and password however http://www.mininova.org/ is one website that also does this. I do not know if site is allowed to be posted here but it is only an example of what type of sound i am getting. Load the website and let it run in the background and after a few mins you will hear the CLICK when it refrehses. so how do i turn this off ???

start.wav is the file that plays the click sound. You could try browsing for the file and deleting it to see if that resolves the problem.

Make sure that in the Sound options, under the Windows Explorer section of the Program events window, you don't have "Complete Navigation" enabled with a sound.

Even with the no sounds schemes, it comes back after an update of IE... I've seen this before.

Attachments

• shot3.gif
    shot3.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 97
turn of mic and use windows wav recorder to record a blip of nothing. then replace the start.wav file with it.

Damn you guys are complicating it all.... record a new sound and replace teh file? The problem is oviously somewhere else. I'm sure it's what I said it is... I've seen it happen already.

In any case, if that doesn't work, I'd look more for a registry value to change than a sound to re-record... come on. That's like using duck tape! Not very techy-like... lol

hey it works for that annoying sound in trillian. But the concept works anywhere. Im done helping.

If the sound file isn't there it won't play. I'd just delete the file. :rolleyes:

VenomXt said:
in some situations you would have a program freak out if it looked for a file then didnt find it.. hehe

Then delete that program. :p

the sound was "Windows XP Start.wav" I just renamed it to "Windows XP Start1.wav" and it solved my problem. Thanks guys :)

All you would have had to do is go into sounds then under the heading Windows Explorer set Start Navigation to none.

But your way works as well. ;)

Apparently they appended that file name with Windows XP. That's funny. :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back