Annopying Prob with IE

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
Annoying Prob with IE

Hey All!

I've noticed this happening latelyt on some sites, and just now when I went to Vikrant's Site to take a look at the glassory.

When I went to the site, the IE search bar opens, when I close it and navigate to another page on the site, it reopens.

Any way to stop this?

Thx!

It seems to be some new way of advertising on Tripod. Opened it in Firefox, didn't notice anything...then opened it in IE, and found that it opened the search sidebar as well.

Good call, SpeedY_B. By the way, both Firefox and IE variants are unaffected by the bar from what I can see.

Just visited the page and noted that it calls:

Code:
launchSidebar('sidebar.tripod.com', 'ranimukherji');
if (!displayAd()) document.write("<!" + "--");
//-->
</script>

And the function itself is:

Code:
function launchSidebar(sbserver, kw) {
    var random_num = Math.round((Math.random()*999999));

document.cookie = "sidebarurl=" + window.location + "; path=/; domain=.tripod.com";
    if(GetCookie("sbo") == 1)
    {
       var adImg=d.createElement('IMG'); adImg.src="/adm/img/common/ot_existingpane.gif?rand=" + random_num;
       return;
    } 

if(GetCookie("nosidebar") == 1)
    {
	var adImg=d.createElement('IMG'); adImg.src="/adm/img/common/ot_brokenpane.gif?rand=" + random_num;
	return;
    }		

if (window.name == 'comments') {
       var adImg=d.createElement('IMG'); adImg.src="/adm/img/common/ot_blogcomments.gif?rand=" + random_num;
       return;
    }

// change < 100 to control dialdown	
    if((kw != '') && (kw != '(none)') && (Math.random() * 100) < 100)
    {
        if((navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE") != -1) && (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSN") == -1) && (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("AOL") == -1) && (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Mac") == -1) && (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Opera") == -1) && (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("NetCaptor") == -1) && (!window.sidebar))
        {
           open('http://' + sbserver + '/bin/sidebar.cgi?site=' + window.location + "&kwcookie=" + kw, '_search');
	   var adImg=d.createElement('IMG'); adImg.src="/adm/img/common/ot_opensidepane.gif?rand=" + random_num;
	   return;
        }
    }

var adImg=d.createElement('IMG'); adImg.src="/adm/img/common/ot_nosidepane.gif?rand=" + random_num;
    return;
}

From that, I gather another possible solution to stop it would be to change (or plain remove) your User Agent string in IE. (edit: Info on how to change the UA-String here)

Quite surprised that it can actually be called to open with simple javascript actually, hopefully something that Microsoft will consider fixing, if they don't class it as a "feature" that is.

interesting...it doesn't happen on my internet explorer...even with pop up blocker disabled

this photo is with all pop up blockers off

Attachments

• no search bar (Small).gif
    no search bar (Small).gif
    107.5 KB · Views: 72
:rolleyes: You need to visit a tripod site, not the tripod site.

Wow, thats really crap and annoying. But if you change your UA string, other sites may not work properly if they don't detect your browser correctly

Bugger, didn't think of that. The only other solution is to disable javascript, although that would mess up a lot more sites than the UA-String. I find not visiting tripod site's works best :p :D

ah..got to vikrant's site

my adsheild did the trick, but ya, without it, I get the side bar also

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back