An IP Addy Disaster!

Techno Child

web{designer}
Ok... this might have something to do with my print server problem, however I do not really care about printing anymore because I ran a usb extender through the attic and pluged it directly into my airport...

Normaly my network would be fine the way it is, however for the folding team and spy (an app for mac) i cannot access comps from outside the network... My setup is as follows:

Internet-->ADSL MODEM-->Wired Router-->Wired/Wireless Router-->Airport

DHCP is enabled with the following mods...

ADSL MODEM -- 192.168.1.1
Wired Router -- 192.168.2.1
Wired/Wireless Router -- 192.168.3.1
Airport -- no idea whatsoever :yowch:

From the Wired Router my crapmac is connected directly which would be the most important one to get an IP for...

Spy has an app that will give you the external ip addy and the port automatically based on the current settings, however it tells me the same ip for all comps, which is the ip given to me by my provider... How do I route, just the crapmac for now, to have it's own external ip addy?

BTW:I have read that most ip's only allow 5 comps to be connected and apparently all my comps connected to the routers now are "hidden" since they all share the same external ip, right?

any help would be appreciated

I see you have your network divided into 3 networking schemes. Usually in this scenario I'd suggest you combine it into 1 unless this is how you want it done.

In order to combine it into one you use a router as a Wifi Access Point/Switch only, this is accomplished by turning off DHCP, setting the router address to something like 192.168.1.2 and using a LAN port and not the WAN/Internet port.

Now it looks like your MODEM is handing out LAN IPs, If you can access it's setup page the way I'd setup the network is to switch it into bridge more and let the wired router handle PPPoE authentication and such. (This router would be using the WAN port and have DHCP enabled, only 1 DHCP server a network).

Now if you want to keep it this way then I believe the only way to access computers in another IP scheme is by IP address only (\\192.168.x.x), as far as I know the routers don't resolve the names.

If you want to reconfig your network I can provide more info/help.

Ok, slow down. You have a wireless router listed. You can turn this into a switch/WAP (wireless access point), thus not spending any money.

In order to do this you need to disable DHCP in the WAP router and use the uplink port (if there is none then a standard LAN port as the newer routers have auto detection for uplink).

Also make sure that you change the WAP's IP so follow the scheme of the wired router (192.168.2.x).

But before we go any farther, are you able to access a config page in the MODEM or did it just come that way?

the way I would do it is this

ADSL modem - 192.168.1.1
Wired router - 192.168.1.2
Wireless router - 192.168.1.3
Airport - 192.168.1.4

ADSL modem and wireless router plugged into wired router. Airport connected either wired or wirelessly to the wired or wireless router respectively depending on where it is.
Cabling wise it looks like you have it pretty much as I said, though if you can get all your routers and modems and such into the same 255 range (ie 192.168.1.x) then things might go a little better. The majority of devices like to have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and with your current setup they need 255.255.0.0 as a wide scale mask, though this could be tightened down. Honestly though I think you would do better to move them all into the 192.168.1.x range.

that is a good idea geffy, however i only want my isp to see two ips in the house.. right now i need to get another splitting device because i'm using all the ports availible already... the modem can be configured to almost anything and yes i can turn dhcp off...

also i would like to move as little hardware as possible, since i really would like to stay out of the attic for another year at least :D (we have that new paper insulation that is awfull) would getting a plain switch work to get my crapmac and the first router each a seperate ip? then the routers will take care of the rest with dhcp..

Your ISP won't see any LAN IP's

Techno Child said:
How do I route, just the crapmac for now, to have it's own external ip addy?

ISP's usually sell service by the external IP address. If you want 2 external IP addresses you have to contact your ISP and buy a second address (this ranges from $5-100 extra per IP address depending on your service provider).

Once you buy the second address you can use a switch to split the modem output. The outputs from the switch can go to 2 unique devices that will each have an external IP address.
-You can hook both outputs to devices with routing capability (your wired router and wireless router).
-Or you can hook one switch output direct to the crapmac and the other to your wired router. Then setup the wireless router as an access point as Admiral described.

Techno Child said:
BTW:I have read that most ip's only allow 5 comps to be connected and apparently all my comps connected to the routers now are "hidden" since they all share the same external ip, right?
any help would be appreciated

You ISP has no idea how many computers you have on the other side of your router. Some may try to convince you to not to connect more than X computers but they don't know how many you have so screw them. :)

ok... well.... gee.. i'm all confused now :) ... the one ext. ip that i get free with the service... can i just use that routed directly to the crapmac, and also through the switch, put the internet to the comps on the chain of routers? i only need one ext. ip for the crapmac

Nice try, but no. That is 2 external IP addresses.

Why do you want 2 external addresses? Hosting, server, special program on the MAC that needs external visibility? If it's the last you could set the MAC to the DMZ on the router and just use port forwarding on the other computers.

If you really need 2 external IP's the ISP has to provide them.

ok... for now all i want to do is help you guys with the folding team... how do i set it up with port fowarding? can that be done with the switch?

don't think you need any specific ports opened for Folding to work. This is mainly because its the client on your machine which connects out to the internet. So as long as your Folding machine has internet connectivity somehow it will be fine.

well... i'm connected to the internet because i am talking to you guys... and when i open my folding client it cannot connect because of the proxy settings... you know what? i'm gonna try and disable the proxy in the preferences...

ok... it works now... however... i would still like to get the external ip setup for spy... :D there must be a way to access it through port fowarding , is that setup through the switch?

ok... do I start port fowarding on the modem then put the same settings into each of the routers?

In my opinion your first step should be to reconfig the layout first to make this so much easier. If you need help I can always assist you.

great, thanks admiral ... so by reconfig, you basically mean what geffy was saying with changing the last digit of the ip not the second tolast digit, right? and that should keep all routers on the same range i guess.

The digit locations are actually called octets, and yes that is what you would want to change.

Something like this

192.168.1.1 for the router

192.168.1.100-150 for all devices.

Techno Child said:
great, thanks admiral ... so by reconfig, you basically mean what geffy was saying with changing the last digit of the ip not the second tolast digit, right? and that should keep all routers on the same range i guess.

Yes and no. Yes that we need to change the IPs to one scheme and no that's it. We need to reconfig the physical hookups as well.

So, I made a quick diagram of the best way the network should be connected. You didn't specify how many computers so I showed how many computers/router. If you need more ports then a switch would do (this is done AFTER the wired router). Nothing should be changed before the wired router (WAN - MODEM ONLY!).

With this setup the WAN ports on the wireless and airport (not sure about airports) are NOT used, they are just connected to the same ports a computer would use.

DHCP is handled by the wired router so the other two need to be disabled. Also, the wireless and airport IP addresses need to be changed (the IP that is used to access the config page, again I dont know the specifics of your hardware). The wireless router would now be used as a switch/wireless access point only.

I think I got it all.

Attachments

• Drawing1.jpg
    Drawing1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
ok... by uplink port do you mean that i plug the modem into one of the numbered ports (1-4) then plug the internet port of the first router into the numberd port of the wireless router?

the wan port must be used in the airport because the lan goes into my parent's imac with a homelink plug :( will this effect anything else?

Attachments

• wireddiagram.png
    wireddiagram.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 69

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back