An easy one for you...

H

Herkalees

Currently I own and operate a simple little website (www.endlessss.com) and I wanted to add a "Feedback" type function to it. I'm not sure if this is the correct term for what I seek, so let me describe what's in my head:

I want people to simply be able to input their name and a message in two separate box's, hit submit and have it post to my website on a particular page, for all to view. I want to be able to moderate posts in case of foul language etc. Having a date and time automatically inserted, then listed in order of most recent to oldest is ideal also.

My experience in coding websites is a bit limited, as my whole website was made using HTML and images with Dreamweaver and Photoshop. There also may be a limitation to what my web host will allow as far as um... I am drawing a blank on the acronyms... (CGI scripting?) and things of that nature.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Well, you'll need some kind of server side script language, like CGI/Perl, PHP, ASP or similar. Most hosts support CGI/Perl, so that can be a good place to start. I got my first guestbook script from Matt's Script Archive. It was a few years ago but it was good then so it should be good now. I also you belive you can edit it anyway you want to fit your page as long as you give some credit to Matt. I changed it quite severely as I remember it. :)

i will do a custom PHP script that will either insert the data in MySQL or send you an email. If your host supports PHP and you would like a custom script, please email me at script15433@x-istence.com and i would be happy yo make one. Please do not use Matt's formmail, since that has been hacked, and has been abused to spam.

I appreciate all your help. It seems my host doesn't support anything special like the things you have mentioned. I ended up going with their provided "guestbook" for folks who pay for their hosting. It's semi-decent, free, and only puts up a tiny tiny graphic underneath. Thankyou again for your help, it seems I'll be sticking with this freebee option of theirs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back