Amd?

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
Let me start by saying: I dont wanna start an infamous AMD/Intel war!!

Nuff said...

I am in the market for a new mobo/cpu/mem and starting to really consider my choices. I have been a die-hard AMD fan (my last 3 mobos were all AMD based) because it offered tons of performance for the price.

Now that prices are starting to equalize more (I know p4 is still more $$$) I am considering a P4 mobo. The fastest P4s are starting to be faster than the fastest Athlons (according to a few sites). The P4 architecture seems to have tons of headroom for more speed increases while the Athlon seems to be struggling a bit to keep up. Plus the P4 (I hate to admit) seems to not kill itself if a fan or HS stops working or falls off. I try to view benchmarks from various sites to help rule out brand-bias. Now, with FSB at 533 and 1024 RDRAM soon to be out, its going to get better for Intel I think.

I must say I was disappointed with the new Thoroughbred's performance compared to the older XP. I know Barton will be out soon, but will a little extra cache and any other small changes really help keep up with intel?

Just looking for a little OBJECTIVE insight here. I know AMD has an advantage when comparing raw MHz, but I'm talking performance.

I may wait until Barton ships to see what to do, but my old T-bird is starting to show it's age, and I'm getting impatient :)

Oh, you know how it is: gotta keep up with the Jones's...

Seriously, the Clawhammer does look good, but not sure if I can hold out that long.

I'll still be "window" shopping for a while yet, just wanted to get some xp-erts viewpoints. I'll still be keeping an eye on Intel though, but it's going to take a bit of performance to pry me from AMD.

Quote: "The fastest P4s are starting to be faster than the fastest Athlons (according to a few sites). The P4 architecture seems to have tons of headroom for more speed increases while the Athlon seems to be struggling a bit to keep up. Plus the P4 (I hate to admit) seems to not kill itself if a fan or HS stops working or falls off. I try to view benchmarks from various sites to help rule out brand-bias. Now, with FSB at 533 and 1024 RDRAM soon to be out, its going to get better for Intel I think. "

Go with your gut feeling and get that P4. You seem well informed with it's performance and future! I am confident that you will not regret the switch.:) Many people are taking the jump from AMD to Intel, and with good reason.:)

Quote by Catch23: "Believe me...he doesn't know what he's talking about...why would you want to pay twice as much to get the same performance...no, some sites are NOT starting to see the P4 models which are competitive to the AthlonXPs faster... "

Has an obsessive need to be believed... Feels misunderstood.

Axis I:
Axis II:
Axis III:
Axis IV:

to be continued...

My P4 Rocks!

I think it really boils down to user XP-erience. My p4 2.26 GHZ "feels" very fast. It wouldn't "feel" any faster if I put, say a 2.4 GHz processor in it. I did notice the difference between my old 1.8 GHz and the new 2.26. AMD? Intel? Who cares! If it feels fast, buy it!

Zoom Zoom Zoom!

As if...

Sorry Catch. You don't get to tell me that what I "feel" is wrong. My perspective is mine alone. If I say that my PC feels very fast, then it does. Why are you so negative all the time? Chill out! God I hate hardware snobs.

I used to have a Pentium 3 and that was as slow as **** and run anything that went near it so i upgraded to a Athlon 700mhz and that was miles better so good i still have it 3yrs l8r and Still will run games fine, so i buildt a new system with a Athlon 1900+ and xp is gr8 on it and will anythin u want it to without an hasle.
And if u look in any computer mag they have tables to show u which preforms better on xp and its the Athlon xps.

@scriptasylum,

personally i think your current system is fine as it is. you've seem to have a lot of good stuff in it already. most of the stuff you've got will be good at least for another year. the only programs that may need a large boost in cpu power will be games that come out next year. especially doom3.

Sorry, didn't mean to start another heated AMD/Intel debate :(

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My system is fast enough, I'm just thinking ahead a bit for when the new games do come out. I'd also like to use a mobo that has more built-in features: LAN, RAID (but will use it as extra IDE instead), and sound. I have too many PCI boards and its getting a little tight in my case. USB 2.0 would be a plus too, but it seems all the newer stuff has that anyway. Plus, some of the newer mobos look so pretty, esp when lighted using an array of blue LEDs I put in my case. :)

My wife's current PC (a 700 Athlon "brick" CPU and gateway OEM mobo) will be going to the kids and she will get my hand-me-down.

I hate to wait because if you wait for the best thing, something else is on the horizon. But, I don't want to get new hardware if something *really* worth waiting for is coming out soon. Hmmph.

Anyway, thanks again all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back