Amd Xp3200 Temps?

kingsam

OSNN Addict
I have a asus delux a7n8x,1gig cosair ddr400,xp3200 with stock cooler,Hercules AIW 9800se using softmod drivers,audigy card,my cpu temps
have gone up quite a bit recently for no reason i can see.Normally it runs at 37-45 idle,and 47-52 full load,and now its about 55 idle,60-67 full load,any ideas.Havent changed anything at all in the case.I have a pci exhaust fan sucking air out and a case fan blowing air in at the front of the case.Do i need some extra case fans or a newer cpu fan.Thanks
:confused:

cpu temps?

Wot do you mean,are the temps to hot or are they ok,and why have they suddenly gone up?

Until reaches 65 you shouldn't worry ..
Why temperature gone up ? I'm pretty sure summer come up all over .. :rolleyes: .. consider it's important ..
Rated : 85 degrees
Perfect : Idle = 38-46
Full load = 52-58

Cpu Temps

thanx mate,so should i bother getting a couple of case fans to help things,or not bother.Oh by the way i have have a 450watt psu,and a usb joystick/scanner/printer.Thanx again

kingsam said:
I have a asus delux a7n8x,1gig cosair ddr400,xp3200 with stock cooler,Hercules AIW 9800se using softmod drivers,audigy card,my cpu temps
have gone up quite a bit recently for no reason i can see.Normally it runs at 37-45 idle,and 47-52 full load,and now its about 55 idle,60-67 full load,any ideas.Havent changed anything at all in the case.I have a pci exhaust fan sucking air out and a case fan blowing air in at the front of the case.Do i need some extra case fans or a newer cpu fan.Thanks
:confused:

Don't take this the wrong way ;) but your CPU cooler may be dirty (the air your fan blows down the fins can get blocked by a thick carpet of dust) i have seen many PC temps rise by 10c because of poor maintenance of the CPU cooler it needs cleaning (compressed air from the can is ok) i would say twice a year depending on the amount of fans without filters that blow/suck dust into your PC or if you have a side door off ..ect.

Make sure your PC is off...i know but seen ive it done compressed air and arms in the PC whilst on :eek: and give the cooler ..psu..and any other thing that looks dusty a good blow ( :rolleyes: hehe dirty thought) to clear it out.

Edit:- Cosmin got it spot on....nice to see someone not screaming its gonna melt if your over 40c !.

Have your ambient temps changed? My room was 60F when my air conditioning worked, but it's been out for a few days, and it's 80F in my room. My temps have jumped from 39/idle-45/load to 44/idle-51 load.

Sometimes when summer hits, it gets hotter in your room and you don't think about it. Add that to a dusty heatsink like others are saying and you've got some heat.

amd temps

Many thanks all you guys ive got some compressed air and cleaned all my fans
and now the temps back to 51 under full load,Cheers people.

kingsam said:
Many thanks all you guys ive got some compressed air and cleaned all my fans
and now the temps back to 51 under full load,Cheers people.

It’s been my experience with AMD chips and supplied heat sinks (retail Package) especially the model 10 varieties that their temperatures vary all the time seemingly for no apparent reason.

Some (AMD) supplied heat sinks can be mounted in two different ways both of which look ok but one is slightly off centre and this can produce a ten degree rise in operating temperature. Why AMD recommends these heat sinks is beyond me. Some of these are also supplied with what looks like a pre-designated thermal compound strip on the lower half of the heat sink but is actually a strip of very soft plastic that you should remove before installation and is meant as a guide to correctly align the CPU with the heat sink, they just forgot to mention this in the instructions.

The thinnest layer of thermal compound paste should be applied to the top of the CPU do not paste a huge dollop as this can interact with the resistance between the surface mounted components on the CPU if it squidges out all over the place.

Also there are known problems with even the most recent motherboards and the sensors that measure the CPU temperatures (both Diodes and those everlasting bendy mica strips that rely on thermal expansion of two different metals to measure the temperature, these should have been banned years ago) Gigabyte Motherboards are notorious for this so make sure you have the latest BIOS in place as they perform a mathematical equation and don’t measure the CPU temp directly. This is why bi-metallic strips are obsolete in this application.

AMD processors also use internal diodes to calculate temperatures and just like some of the “other” processors” can throttle back the CPU but this originally was not a means of controlling the CPU temp but the data rate going through it’s registers so as to save power for laptops ect. This has made temperature measurement even more complicated for the BIOS to report as another algorithm needed to be inserted.

Probably the most reliable method for AMD chips is to buy a system case with a few spare sensors (no extra cost) these are readily available now and allow you to position sensors wherever you like. Failing that place you own hand at the base of the heatsink, if it does not burn you and you don’t get electrocuted and the computer is still working then the CPU is ok and you are actually alive.

Word of warning about using compressed air to clean components. These can contain very high levels of static electricity, enough to blow components on the motherboard or even worse very high levels of moisture.

AMD temps

Many thanks for the above advice,theres quite a lot of useful info in your reply.Many thanks again.Cheers :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back