AMD w/SD ram problem?

R

Rooster77

I have always been an intel slot 1 guy....however I have now taken the plunge and built (2) AMD systems, one power and one budget. The power system is great!
My question is, on the budget system, I used a AMD athlon 1700+ XP chip with a ECS K7S5A mobo and 512mb of PC100 ram (just cause I had it laying around). When I first booted up the system it only saw the processor as a AMD 1152 or something like that, no problem, went into the bois and changed the mhz to 133 and viola a AMD1700 BUT it also took the ram up to 133. The system has been running for a few days now and seems to be ok, but if the ram is in fact pc100 and the bus speed is set to 133 will I have problems? In the bios you could set many different bus speed combinations but 133mhz processor and 100mhz ram was not one of them?
Any feedback?
Thanks.

it may shorten the lifespan of your memory dramatically, although its possible it depends on the type (manufacturer) of memory that it is.

i would just leave it. if it fry's then u can buy a stick of 133 ram cheap enuf:cool:

Is there any way of telling how far I am pushing the ram? Acutally now that I think of it, I am not even sure if it is 100 or 133mhz? Is there any way to tell?

Originally posted by TechSupport
it may shorten the lifespan of your memory dramatically, although its possible it depends on the type (manufacturer) of memory that it is.

I agree. It depends on the quality of the RAM, be careful.

hhhmm, the value system is for my sister-in-law...if it starts to become a problem for the ram, what would the symptoms be? Freezing? Running win XP, system will not be overclocked in any way at all.

run a prog that tells you your system specs. it will tell you speed of ram etc really easylt. i cant remember the name of a prog i used that was really good:huh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back